Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my D300 with twin sticks off a D18 from a old willy pickup bolted in - but the sticks aren't playing nice. They are coming up way to far to the passanger side. I either have to bend them a bunch or wack a huge hole in the tunnel. I'm not to concerned about hacking the hole but more concerned about patching it back up :D

Anybody got any pics of a how you bent your sticks to fit better or how yours fit through the floor? Ideas for fabing up the tunnel to accomadate the new sticks. Anyhting?

And just so everyone can laugh at me :flipoff2:- I pulled a dumbass move -I just finished bolting everything back together - minus the sticks. Got showered up, clean clothes - jumped in the Scout to go buy some food so the old lady won't bitch at me for playing in the garage all day. Put it in reverse, ease off the clutch - CHIRP! Damn things in low range!! I really don't want to monkey with it so I drive the 1/2 mile to the grocery store in 4th gear turning 3500rpms and maybe 15mph... Then on the way home I made the critical error of downshifting, CHIRP! and it pops out of gear and into neutral. So there I am 200 yards from my apartment - with clean clothes on and I have to knock the damn t-case back into gear :mad: Yes I am a freaking moron - I should have walked to the store!

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
My Heep 300 with D20 Twin Sticks fit with a little cut and paste.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I cut a big ugly notch in the side of the trans tunnel while in the parking lot at RMIHR. :D

After RMIHR, I yanked the twin stick POS back out and put in a single-stick.. still have the big hole. :D

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I used twin stick shifters from a Dana 20 out of an 800 on my Dana 20. The 800 20 had bad bearings and worn gears throughout so I just transfered the shifters to a newer 20. I had to tweak the two shifters a bit but they both went through the factory hole of the single stick. I was running a 345/T-19/20. Now runing 345/T-19/Ford 203/Ford 205 twin sticked. The 205 shifters come up where the center console used to be. No pics yet.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I stuck them in a vice and used oxy/ace to heat them. Bending was easy but it took me about a while to get the correct bends in to clear the tunnel cover. no pics...too lazy. I also had to drill a hole in the side of the hump so I could insert the pin.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Joe V said:
I stuck them in a vice and used oxy/ace to heat them. Bending was easy but it took me about a while to get the correct bends in to clear the tunnel cover. no pics...too lazy. I also had to drill a hole in the side of the hump so I could insert the pin.
JOE,
I know what you mean about the hole for the pin - last time I had my D20 out I made the critical mistake and didn't put the sticks back on until it was installed - what a PITA! So now I am ready with the custom hole :rolleyes:

EVERYONE,
Come awn no pictures? I think this is a first! I'll take a picture or two of my hack job when I am done and post them up for everyone to heckle at....

EDIT: The hole has been hacked...

No idea how I am going to patch up the second hole. The main stick comes up almost in the old hole - I just had to extend it 1.5 inches down. But it's runable for now! I think my problem with the alignment/fitment were exacerbated by my body lift. I think it would have cleared a little better had it been at stock height.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's finsihed - it looks pretty butch - but once it has a nice coating of dirt and crap it should fit right in. I ended up just exetending the main hole and sliding the boot down and patching the top area for the main stick. For the second stick I took another standard boot and fabbed a larger retainer and bent it to fit the new opening and just screwed it down. Now I just need to find/make 2 new shift knobs.

The picture looks like crap - but in person it only looks half as crappy :D

·
Banned
5,282 Posts
Aint got a D300 but I do have a TwinStick D20

I just got my twin-stick kit installed on Snoops D20 w/ 2.47 low range gears.

I have to modify the sticks to work with an 800 style cover, but it came out sweet and only took like 5 minutes to install.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
uglyscout said:
Some one needs a holesaw! :D

Mine twin sticks would have fit about the same except my body lift caused an increase in the opening needed....
I started with a hole-saw, but the battery box was in the way and I couldn't finish the hole. :D

And I'd been doing real good about lifting things up and in w/ the shifter on it.. then just before a race.. d'oh.. I blew it, so out came the hole-saw.. then the grinder what that didn't work.

I haven't used that hole since.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts