Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I should know the answer to this and yes I searched, but, can D44 1/2T outers be bolted up to a 3/4T D44. Basically, I have a D44 from a 79 Bronco, and I'd like to use my outers on a 3/4T D44 from an older 3/4 ton P/U. I want to convert my 3 link jeep to leaf spring front and this seems to be the easiest way I can think of to accomplish it. Let me have it, I know, flame suit on... thanks, Judd :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
i know a guy who swapped 5 lug outers onto his HD44 so my guess is it can work, but i am guessing it would depend on how old the HD44 you have is. i don't know about all the variations with shafts and spindles and what not...

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
Judd said:
I know I should know the answer to this and yes I searched, but, can D44 1/2T outers be bolted up to a 3/4T D44. Basically, I have a D44 from a 79 Bronco, and I'd like to use my outers on a 3/4T D44 from an older 3/4 ton P/U. I want to convert my 3 link jeep to leaf spring front and this seems to be the easiest way I can think of to accomplish it. Let me have it, I know, flame suit on... thanks, Judd :flipoff2:
Yes this is do-able make sure you swap every thing from outer knuckles out. (some parts don't need to be but to be safe...)

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Mr. N. I keep a few spare copies of your axle writeup around but couldn't remember reading this info in there. thanks again for the help guys, now, does anyone know how to convert the 9" to a FF axle? guess i better get searching... thanks, judd

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more question fellas, if I put 1/2T outers on a 3/4T axle can I just run the stock inner/outer axles from the 1/2T right? I thought I read that the widths of the two axles is different but switching the 3/4T to 1/2T outers gives you an axle that is the same width as the stock 1/2T axle. Does this make sense? I just wanna run the axle from a 3/4T and the outers and axleshafts from the 1/2T, will it work? thanks again, Judd

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah you can run the factory 1/2 ton shafts in the 3/4 housing, Both 30 spline on the inner shaftr right ? Thats what I did for my Jeep. I take it you arnt gonna run flat-top knuckles huh ? Te only Dif. between the 1/2ton and the 3/4 ton Dana 44 is the 3/4 tons are normaly High pinion which is stronger than the low pinion. Where the Axle gets its extra beef is the knuckles and outers. SO pretty much you will end up with a 1/2 ton axle with high pinion when you do the swap. so ask yourself is it worth it ?

·
Registered
350 Posts
1HDXJ said:
Te only Dif. between the 1/2ton and the 3/4 ton Dana 44 is the 3/4 tons are normaly High pinion which is stronger than the low pinion. Where the Axle gets its extra beef is the knuckles and outers. SO pretty much you will end up with a 1/2 ton axle with high pinion when you do the swap. so ask yourself is it worth it ?
Not necessarily. All the D44's around that era (75+) are high pinion. At least, Judd's 1/2T is.

I was under the assumption that the width of the two axles (assuming the same year / application) were identical between the inner C's, but the 3/4T outers added a little width over the 1/2T (1-2"?). I could have sworn this was posted somewhere, but I can't find it now.....

Later,
Jay

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jlake1 said:
Not necessarily. All the D44's around that era (75+) are high pinion. At least, Judd's 1/2T is.

I was under the assumption that the width of the two axles (assuming the same year / application) were identical between the inner C's, but the 3/4T outers added a little width over the 1/2T (1-2"?). I could have sworn this was posted somewhere, but I can't find it now.....

Later,
Jay

you and me both jay... i remember reading it somewhere too. if it is true i can run the HD axle, chevy flat tops and my stock inner/outer axles and be basically the same width that I am right now, but with the ability to run leaves in front instead of coils... anyone else???? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
23 Posts
jlake1 said:
All the D44's around that era (75+) are high pinion. At least, Judd's 1/2T is.
Thats not true. They came in both high and low pinion, Reason y I know this is my dad use to work for FORD back in the early 80's. I have his FORD shop books. Plus A buddy of mine made his 93 Ford F-150 into a 4wd and he used a 1/2 ton, LOW Pinion dana 44 with the radius arm setup. The year model his front axle came out from under was a 79.

·
Registered
350 Posts
1HDXJ said:
Thats not true. They came in both high and low pinion, Reason y I know this is my dad use to work for FORD back in the early 80's. I have his FORD shop books. Plus A buddy of mine made his 93 Ford F-150 into a 4wd and he used a 1/2 ton, LOW Pinion dana 44 with the radius arm setup. The year model his front axle came out from under was a 79.
Let me clarify:
1/2T FORD Dana 44's around 77-79 are high pinion. I realize that early 1/2T's, 3/4T's(till 75), and other manufacturer's used this axle in a low pinion configuration. That's not what the thread was about, so I didn't include the above disclaimer.

As for your buddy using a 79 1/2T Ford D44 with radius arm mounts and low pinion....show me a picture. Not that I've see everything, but I've never even HEARD of this axle......

Jay

G

·
Okay....

3/4 ton axles are wider than 1/2 ton axles, but the stub shafts are the same.

So in order to get an 8 lug pattern, swap the outers onto a 1/2 axle housing..(or vice versa w/ a 5 lug onto a 3/4 ton axle)

the difference in the widths is taken care of on Mr. N's page:

77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

And by the way......1HDXJ, you're full of shit! :flipoff2:

Mr. N even has a bet going.

"The F100 & F150’s of 1966 to 1979 never came with a low pinion axle, at least not from the factory. I’ve standing bet on the Pirate 4x4 Ford forum board for someone to produce a 66-79 Dana 44 low pinion axle from a F100 or F150 4x4. Many have said they have a cousin’s- friend - sister’s -boyfriend -brother that has one. Some have stated they even own one and are going to take pictures this minute and post them. End result: I haven’t lost the bet yet, thread is linked here. The F250 axle was a low pinion Dana 44 until 1977.5, it also had closed knuckles until 75 and leaf spring mounts for all years"

.....you'd do good reading his ENTIRE article before you mislead anyone else w/ your stupid ass misinformation!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NakedDucks said:
Okay....

3/4 ton axles are wider than 1/2 ton axles, but the stub shafts are the same.

So in order to get an 8 lug pattern, swap the outers onto a 1/2 axle housing..(or vice versa w/ a 5 lug onto a 3/4 ton axle)

the difference in the widths is taken care of on Mr. N's page:

77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

And by the way......1HDXJ, you're full of shit! :flipoff2:

Mr. N even has a bet going.

"The F100 & F150’s of 1966 to 1979 never came with a low pinion axle, at least not from the factory. I’ve standing bet on the Pirate 4x4 Ford forum board for someone to produce a 66-79 Dana 44 low pinion axle from a F100 or F150 4x4. Many have said they have a cousin’s- friend - sister’s -boyfriend -brother that has one. Some have stated they even own one and are going to take pictures this minute and post them. End result: I haven’t lost the bet yet, thread is linked here. The F250 axle was a low pinion Dana 44 until 1977.5, it also had closed knuckles until 75 and leaf spring mounts for all years"

.....you'd do good reading his ENTIRE article before you mislead anyone else w/ your stupid ass misinformation!

Thanks Ducks!!! I knew that there were no LP D44 in ford applications for those years, but, arguing with that dood is kinda pointless. Thanks for the info, keep up the good info, it's really appreciated. Thanks again, Judd :grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
so then......can you use '76 3/4t knuckles, spindles and caliper brackets with '78 3/4t hubs and rotors and still use '79 1/2t stub axles?

G

·
No.

The 79 3/4t Knuckles require a 10 21/32" stub shaft. and the 79 1/2t stub is only 9 23/32" long.

If I am correct, you could use the 76 3/4t knuckles and caliper brackets (I would assume they were for disc brakes since you asked about caliper brackets) w/ 78 3/4t spindles, and then use the 79 1/2t stubs.

The spindle is what determins your stub length. Also if it was disc or drum brakes.
Read this....about 1/2 way down.
http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/flatop_knucles.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts