Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of doing a J10 passenger side D44 5x5.5 conversion. I quit working on this Jeep for about 8-10 months while trying to sell my house and move out into the country and I have lost all my notes.

Here is the question.

I have the '79 Ford Rotors and hubs and the Chevy backing plates. So, what calipers should I use?

I found out that the '76 and '79 Chevy brake pads are the same. But the calipers are not. The '79 has a larger piston (or so it seems) than the '76. The '79 calipers also fit tighter to the rotor than the '76 does.

But, the '79 caliper doesn't accept the YJ brake lines. The '76 will. I think the '79 caliper is the way to go, but not sure what to do about the brake lines.

Any suggestions? I am sure there is alot of info in these pages, since this is where I got it all before, but with the search engine being down, I just don't have time to sift through all the pages. And I need to be in the garage instead of on the computer..... if you know what I mean. :D

· Registered
1,162 Posts
just get some new brake lines... why mess around to keep your stock brake lines so you can use a diff caliper. your choice shouldnt be which one can bolt directly in, but which one will work better. if the '79 has a bigger piston(more pressure to stop a bigger tire better), then the logical choice would be that one and you will just have to change the lines. I have some braided stainless steel lines from inline tube(they are local for me, but can ship stuff to ya). they are a fitting for your hard line, a flex line your choice in length, and an end fitting to go to your caliper, all easily changable and easy to work with.

· Registered
833 Posts
I can't remember the caliper year I used, but it was the larger chevy caliper with the 7/8" bango bolt. The Jeep uses a smaller bango bolt (i think 3/8) so I had to get new lines. I was planning on replacing the brake lines anyway since I had gone to a wider axle and my current lines were about maxed out with the stock axles. I think I ordered mine from inline tube. They made them a custom length and put jeep fittings on the one end for the hard lines and provided a 7/8 bango for the caliper end. The price was about the same as if I ordered a standard set of extended brake lines.

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WEll, I am not trying to use the stock lines, I have a set of extended stainless brake lines that I am putting on it. I can grind out the area to be able to drop the brake lines in, but I was looking for a way around it.

You are right, the '79 caliper is the way to go. I am going to run out at lunch and look at some Chevy brake hoses in the same year and see how they compare to the stainless lines I have. I figure I can always just sell the lines I have. They are new and everything.

The more I open up the RE Extreme kit, the more I realize I spent more money than I should have on it. :mad3: I just ain't using hardly anything out of it except the springs. :shaking: Good kit though.

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, I got it figured out.

This is what I did to get my 5x5.5 conversion done on the '92 YJ

'78 or '79 J10 or Waggy D44 passenger side drop.
Chevy Spindles
stock Jeep Knuckle on Driver side, Chevy Flat top on passenger side w/ Parts Mike arm
'79 Ford rotor and hubs ( this is a set at autozone for $24.99 per side)
'76 Chevy 1/2 ton calipers ($14.99 at O'Reilly's or $13.99 at Autozone)
'76 or '79 pads (they are the same pads so you can pull either (Duralast Golds are $33.99 and O'Reilly's has their Premium Wagner pads for $55.99)

I am going to have to figure out what to do about the brake lines. I can use the braided lines I got in the RE Extreme lift kit, but I have to open up the hole a little, or have a custom hose made. I am pretty sure I know what I am doing :grinpimp:

· Registered
1,015 Posts
TXtac said:
Chevy Spindles
stock Jeep Knuckle on Driver side, Chevy Flat top on passenger side w/ Parts Mike arm
'76 or '79 pads (they are the same pads so you can pull either (Duralast Golds are $33.99 and O'Reilly's has their Premium Wagner pads for $55.99)

I am going to have to figure out what to do about the brake lines. I can use the braided lines I got in the RE Extreme lift kit, but I have to open up the hole a little, or have a custom hose made. I am pretty sure I know what I am doing :grinpimp:
I'm doing the same thing right now to a Cherokee Chief axle, except I'm cutting it down, so I don't have to outboad.
I looked as the same list of parts, but didn't get the same prices. I had about twice that on every part. I wonder if it is a California ($$) thing or if we sourced different parts. Do you have part numbers? I have to get new brake lines anyway, because I broke both of mine this weekend. :eek:

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I don't have part number, just asked for these parts, and that is what I paid.

And when you say twice that, are you talking about not having cores? That would drive the price up on the caliper. When I looked for the Ford rotors and hubs, have them look up the rotors, and they had the hubs attached, or vise versa.

I have a set of used rotors and hubs, but may not be worth shipping.
Mark

· Registered
1,015 Posts
I'll buy new and I have cores, I looked again and there are lots of diffent brands, so that could be it. Thanks.

What have people done for brake lines? I wonder if I can just use chevy lines?

· Registered
2000 Nissan on tons; 41WC; 42GPW
141 Posts
This is similar to the conversion I did on my 95 Wrangler.

My HP Ford had the stock 5-5.5 everything and I converted it to six lug using pass drop J truck axle parts. I was told (wrongly) that my free waggy rotors would bolt right up. They do not. THe Ford spindle is bigger, the outer bearing is different, the brake caliper plate is different and so are the brake calipers.

I ended up using all the J truck outers on the Ford axle. Now my ford brake line does not bolt up to the waggy calipers, and the ford caliper won't adapt to the waggy stuff.

I haven't researched it any further because i'm building my cage, doing a 4 link etc but i imagine that i can take the caliper to an auto parts store and get a long rubber brake line with the right end on it.

· Registered
2000 Nissan on tons; 41WC; 42GPW
141 Posts
95 wrangler

This is similar to the conversion I did on my 95 Wrangler.

My HP Ford had the stock 5-5.5 everything and I converted it to six lug using pass drop J truck axle parts. I was told (wrongly) that my free waggy rotors would bolt right up. They do not. THe Ford spindle is bigger, the outer bearing is different, the brake caliper plate is different and so are the brake calipers.

I ended up using all the J truck outers on the Ford axle. Now my ford brake line does not bolt up to the waggy calipers, and the ford caliper won't adapt to the waggy stuff.

I haven't researched it any further because i'm building my cage, doing a 4 link etc but i imagine that i can take the caliper to an auto parts store and get a long rubber brake line with the right end on it.

· Registered
1,050 Posts
TXtac said:

Chevy Spindles

Would it be any different for a '89 driver's drop waggy D44, besides knuckles?

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DevinB said:
Would it be any different for a '89 driver's drop waggy D44, besides knuckles?
No. I started doing this conversion on a '91 Waggy front, but found a passenger side drop, and figured I would put the D300 I had on the floor to use and moved it over.

One more reason it took me so long to get this axle built. :shaking:

· Registered
1,385 Posts

Chevy Spindles

your price on the rotor and hub is rediculus...there is no way you are getting a rotor and hub for $25...the rotor alone is $25 and the hub is around $60... Please tell me where you are getting this deal because i want to get in on it.

I am converting a 6 lug waggy axle to 5 on 5.5.

· AZUndertaker
809 Posts

Chevy Spindles

I'm doing this same conversion a 78 waggy front. that is going into my CJ7From what I understand, or at least what I think I understand, I need to replace the jeep spindles with chevy spindles in order to fit ford hubs and rotors? is this because the ford hubs need a bigger spindle than the jeep hub?
and if I remember correctly there is a difference in the number of bolts in the ford hub and the chevy hub. This is the bolts that bolt the spindle to the knuckle. Am I correct?
The axle I'm working on has locking hubs and the wheel hubs look to me to be the same as a chevy hub. I'm just wondering if these may have been changed in some earlier life?
I did buy this axle along with the rear axle out of the same wagoneer the rear axle is offset to the passengers side so I'm thinking this waggy was a quadratrack at some time in it's life but it had a T18 with a d20 or 300 transfercase from what I saw. I'm still working on buying the transmission from the guy. I want that t18 for my CJ.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.