Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was told its a scout II front D44, trying to verify so i can purchase the correct outer shaft...these are the numbers i found on the tube:

610083 6 7 30 9 8A

I tried the DANA BOM page, and it comes up not found.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
38 Posts
Do you have the original knuckles and hubs? If so, it should measure ~59" at WMSs and have a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern for the Scout. Waggys are ~1/2" wider and have a 6 bolt wheel pattern.

Another easy way to tell if it's a scout ... the spindle will have 8 holes (knuckle has 8 studs). I'm pretty sure this is specific to IH D44. Others would have 6 studs.

If you don't have the original knuckles-out I think it'd be tough to tell between a waggy and scout, but I also think you can use either axle shaft and be ok. I think both have 27 spline outers (at least the Scout does), lengths are very close. Chevy and FSJ D44s are much wider than a scout.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i am pretty sure the axle has CJ knuckles/spindles/hubs. I just don't want to order a new outer shaft and have it be the wrong one. It is 5 on 5.5, and has a six bolts spindle/caliper bracket/knuckle.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
That BOM is just slightly too recent for the '67 - '78 catalog. 610053 is a '78 Scout II/Traveler front 44. I would think that your axle could be maybe a '79 Scout II - although I am not sure what was the last year for the Scout.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I believe CJ fronts were D30s. '67-68 Chevy and full-size Cherokees ('67 and newer--but not positive on dates), had D44 fronts with 6-bolt spindle to knuckle patterns. The outer shafts were interchangeable, and allowed the use of Ford 5 on 5.5 rotors. Measure the spindle bearing surfaces and length to determine which outer axle will fit. The outer axle should match the spindle. Here's a picture of various spindles. The center is the common one use with Chevy/Jeep knuckles on a D44, allowing use of Ford rotors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts