Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a 70's Jeep D44 axle
The axle was complete minus the lockouts. The WMS-WMS measurements is roughly like 61-62". I'm trying to find out what year this axle is. I looked at the date stamped on ring gear and it was: 10 23 74. The guy I got the axle from said that the axle was like a 76+ model. He was told the same from the person that he bought the axles from. I was looking at the u joints on the axle and it said: f2-5-359 I'm stumped. Shouldn't it be like 5-297s? totally stumpped here... :confused:

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I used Mr. N's site as a reference guide but couldn't find any exact info that I'm looking for. I also used this site: http://www.rps4wd.com/tech/dana44.htm

That site did a little bit better at clearing up all this mumbo jumbo D44 info floating around. If you're also wondering, this axle does have flat top knuckles and has 3.54 R&P.

Some more info from the Tech Section for the D44: http://www.pirate4x4.com/d1/tech/billavista/PDFs/New Jun 2003/D30 and D44 Hubs Exploded views.pdf

So back to the main question.... Is the 5-359 Spicer U Joint for the axle shafts the older part number for the newer 5-297x U Joints and what year axles did these "5-359s" come in?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Sounds like an old part number. If you're that worried about it take one in to a parts store and compare to a 297 (which is now an old part number replaced by 760x).

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got around to pulling one of the outer wheel bearings and came up with a Timken LM 501349. Nothing like what's pulling up at the auto parts store.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
brokefinder said:
Got around to pulling one of the outer wheel bearings and came up with a Timken LM 501349. Nothing like what's pulling up at the auto parts store.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought the axleshaft ujoint was the part in question. What does the wheel bearing part have to do with it?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Get the BM# off the axle tube and call your local truck parts place and they can tell you what you've got. The number is stamped in and is 6 digits - 1 digit.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CSP--I put out the bearing part numbers to give out as much info about the axle to find what year the axle was.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts