Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a sure fire trick for getting the lock ring off the D44 axle shaft? This is rear axle. I was replacing the seal and can't get the damn lock ring off, even with heat.

Also, has anyone replaced their bearing with the Timken Set10 part? Was wondering if the bearing comes apart like the factory one did or if it just slides into the housing and stays together.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had to cut the rings off on mine there should be a new one packaged w/the bearing, sorry I can't remember how the bearing was made but it was the same as the one i took off.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once you got it off, did you simply press the new one on? Was there a stop for the ring?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I cut into the ring with a cutoff wheel and grinder. You can get about 1/2 way to 2/3 of the way through and the ring should crack all the way through. It then slides off. The bearing is a little trickier. I cut into it using the same method on 2 sides after removing the cage. I then oiled it up and used an air hammer on it. I rotate the axle as I apply the hammer and eventually it comes right off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts