Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rear 6-lug D44 of an unknown origin. I've been in the process of replacing the wheel bearings and seals on it and have run into a problem. When I pulled it apart it had a seperate race & tapered roller bearing. the race had a number on if of U360L

I went to the auto parts store, told the parts monkey my story, he says that bearing is now a SET10 bearing. Which is a bearing unit kind of deal. Same dimensions as the old bearing/race deal but just all one piece and it's pre-packed with grease. I'm like ok ... I say I need the seal also. he tells me there's an inner and outer seal. I'm like what ?!? how can there be an inner seal, the bearings are lubed by the gear oil ...

Is the new design of this bearing not supposed to run in the gear oil and I need the inner seal as well or what ? can anyone shed some light on this for me ?

thanks.

- jack

·
Registered
824 Posts
SET10 are the wheel bearings on rear D44's. you can run with the inner seal and keep the bearing greased

or

you can run just the outer seal and bearing and leave it greased the way it is when you bought it, and the oil will keep it lubed.

not all wheel bearings depend on oil. many just use grease but that means keeping the grease clean and packed well.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
yep... just went thru this myself.. go SET10, pack it and seal it or take the inner seal out and let it run in the oil. You're choice. ;)

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm ... opinions vary greatly on the set10 bearing. It turns out there are two Timken versions of this bearings. One is a straight roller bearing and another a tapered roller bearing. After reading of all the troubles scout guys have had with the straight roller bearing failing (because it can't take sideloads). I'm going back with the tapered roller bearing, hope you guys have good luck with it.

I found some good info in these threads:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120160

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19976

- jack

1 - 4 of 4 Posts