Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I'd like to get get rid of my D30 in my YJ and replace it with a D44 out of a waggie. I've done a lot of searching on the board and read tons of info about getting a narrow track D44 out of a waggie because its close to the stock YJ axle width.

I understand I need one out of a '80-'82. The problem is I'm unsure of which waggie! Some of the posts say wagoneer, some say grand wagoneer. Which one is the right one?

Since they appear to be 2 separate models, its confusing on which one I want. :confused:

·
Registered
246 Posts
well the 82-83ish wag front D44's are probably NOT the ones you want.. those wag's have a vaccum disconnect front axle instead of Manual Hubs..
84 and after the Wagoneer became the Grand Wagoneer when chrysler bought Jeep from AMC. I also believe that in 84 they started using D44's in the rear again instead of the AMC Model 20.
I am not sure on the dimensions but a wagoneer only comes in NT. The chero's had the option of NT or WT and all J Trucks came WT.

If I was you I would try to get a Wag (AKA Grand Wag) D44 from an 86-91 they have the driverside drop and they have no vaccum disconnect, but you will have to install manual Hubs because they were hooked up all the time and driveshaft vaccum disconnected from JUST the transfer case.

·
Registered
811 Posts
1980 or 81 hould be fine also, no vac disconnect there usually.

also the wag or grand wag is just a name change, the beast remains the same.

so basically anything you find from 1980-1991 that doesnt have vac crap on it..

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Just start eyeballing the ones with the lockout hubs...Great swap for the buck! hell, even the 20 rear axle in some of the waggy's is an upgrade from the dana 35...

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
Waggy, grand waggy, same difference.

Now for the years, 80-82 are non vaccum D44's. The have different inner axle seals than the 86-91. Not a big deal just something to note.

83-84 have vaccum junk on it, avoid these, the inner axle is unique and you cant eliminate the vaccum crap.

86-91 have the same axle as the 80-82, non-vaccum, drivers drop.

For the rear, 80-85 have HD AMC 20 rears, some 85's & all 86-91 have a centered rear D44.

Good luck, i only paid $150 for my 81 front. Easy swap.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
We work with these all the time. I have a set from an 89 in mine. Go with late 80's and you will be fine. It will be spring under and if you want to go spring over it is easy. The perches are at great locations. It is almost exactly the same width as your 30 and you can put manual hubs in easy. Alot of yards have them cheap and we even find them with warn premium hubs sometimes. If you are looking for a rear 44 at the same time go with the woody grand waggys they have the centered 44 that is a nice fit. A little narrower but works well.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool thanks for the information fellas!

I've started my search for a late '80s D44 out of a grand wagoneer. Car-parts.com found several near me in the '87-'89 for about $250.

Am I going to need to buy any extra parts to bolt this thing up besides the spring perches/shock mounts/welding?

Is there anything I should be concerned about when picking out the axle? Like anything that needs to be replaced that might cost a lot?

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
I just snagged a 85 waggy front from a u-pull-it place for 125.00 complete. Grabbed some 85 Dodge outers for $80.00 for 5 on 5 1/2 high steer conversion. Lots of waggies at the u-pull-it places if you want to save some $$.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I just scored a waggie axle from PnP Rotors and brakes look new.
swaped in some primium Warm manual hubs off a chevy.
The cashier rang it up $159 + 30 core. He had to ask his manager if that was right. wasn't tell after when I noticed it has Flat top knuckles.. :eek:

·
Registered
126 Posts
ElementX said:
Is there anything I should be concerned about when picking out the axle? Like anything that needs to be replaced that might cost a lot?
The only expensive thing would be gears. You will probably need to get different gears in that D44 so it will match your D35. It will most likely have 2.72's or 3.31's in it. Expect it to cost 300-400 for labor plus the cost of the gears, carrier or locker, and the install kit.

You can put it in and get it all set up and running before you do the gears, just don't put it in 4wd until it is regeared to match the rear.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I suppose you could get a set of gears and a carrier from another D44 with the correct gears while you are at the bone yard. This would save you a little bit of money. Personally I would buy at least new gears since it costs so much to get them set up. A used carrier would be fine (if you are not going with a locker) as long as it is not cracked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts