Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Window Licker
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to re-setup a D44 and ARB. Had to tear it down to fix an air leak and then found the pinion bearings were a little worn. Ended up just doing all the bearings and seals while I had it apart.

Pretty much had to start fresh with shims as the old ones would not get it close to spec.

I have proper preload on the pinion and backlash is close - last try was .011" and this is about .005. (spec is .006-.010")

I've played with pinion depth and carrier shims a bit and this has been the best pattern so far. Doesn't seem to want to move any more inward.

I didn't set these up originally and I have no idea what the original pattern looked like before I tore it down.

Is it possible I'm just stuck on an already worn in pattern? Any problem running this on the front of a primarily trail rig? It seems fairly close to the second to last of Yukon's "acceptable patterns"

Attachments

·
Registered
17,155 Posts
Looks to me like the ring gear is too close to the pinion.

·
Window Licker
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks to me like the ring gear is too close to the pinion.
This is the "pinion too close" pic. I guess it's kind of the last one. Fuck. I'm on like try number 10 to get this thing right.
Already managed to break the copper tube on the arb seal ring. Hopefully I can get it right and then re-braze that back together so I don't have to spend another $100 on a new one. :mad3:

You checking the pattern with the spreader loaded?

never mind I see the lower bolt is out
Yeah...it's a half-assed spreader but it works well enough for my standards. I have already forgotten to de-tension it and started checking backlash and pattern at least twice. :rolleyes:

·
Window Licker
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's this weekend's try. I took .01 of the front pinion bearing and .013 off the rear....because those were the smallest shims on either side.

Preload and backlash are perfect but the pattern really doesn't seem to want to move.

Attachments

·
Window Licker
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's an HP so there's a slinger and still a single ~.020" shim on the front bearing and maybe .045" on the rear. That's giving me perfect preload. Don't think there was ever an oil retainer on the HP44.

What's bizarre is there was probably close to .040" of shims on the front when I tore it down. I would have expected it to be close, even with new bearings.

I guess I can try pulling that last .020 shim to see what it does.

I didn't set this up originally and I have no idea if it was even close to right and I'm not actually sure what failed. I started out just replacing the pinion seal and the ARB seals but then found quite a bit of axial play in the pinion. The carrier also felt like it came out a little too easy (not enough shims?) so I decided it was best to just start fresh, new bearings and new setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts