Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard about this and it sounds good in theary, but is it a direct bolt up? Are the ball joints the same measurements? Will my axles still fit in 44 hubs? If so, are there better 44's than others? I'm thinking of hi-steer as an option as well.
Somebody has had to do this, any info would help.

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: cowmooflage ]

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
It works on CJ d30's only not yj, xj, tj d30's. Supposedly all of the d44 stuff will bolt on, never done it.

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
For a CJ style Dana 30. The 44 Knuckles will bolt up, Ball joints and all. Your axels will fit. You will need to use your CJ spindles, hubs, everything from the knucles out. If your brake calipers mount to the Knuckles you might need to go with 1976 CJ brakes. Those caliper mounts use the spindle bolts to connect to the knuckle.

I did this to mine along with the hi-clearance steering.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Or get all the 44 stuff and respline the 44 axles to give you the 297 u-joint.

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
Originally posted by cowmooflage:
<STRONG>Thanks for the tips guys. What would be the best D44 to get the parts from? Billa, I know you used the Chevy K series D44 knuckles, are there any others to look out for?</STRONG>

Chevy would be your best bet. Still alot of them out there. Expect to pay about $100 for the pair. Keep your eyes peeled on e-bay under "Dana 44" there always seems to be some for sale. The passenger side is the rarer of the two.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Originally posted by BillaVista:
<STRONG>Check out my link, below sig. Look under "hybrid axle"

Since I converted an XJ D30, I needed custom length shafts, and had Moser spline some D44 alloy shafts for my D30.</STRONG>
Bill couldn;t you have used D30 297 inners and the D44 outers and had it all come out the same? I was thinking about doing this and just using my D30 297 inners.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys. What would be the best D44 to get the parts from? Billa, I know you used the Chevy K series D44 knuckles, are there any others to look out for?
73-76 Waggoneer also have flat tops, but neither will be machined, drilled or tapped, as opposed to tye Chbby which has the drivers side already done.

Bill couldn;t you have used D30 297 inners and the D44 outers and had it all come out the same? I was thinking about doing this and just using my D30 297 inners.
Nah - sadly not. See, the "throw" of the CJ D30 knuckle yoke is shorter than the XJ/YJ/ZJ knuckle yoke, so the stock D30 axle shaft are too long, no matter if they're 260 or 297 joint.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Billavista (or anyone else that knows), when you finished your hybrid axle for your XJ did you use the rotor from the Chevy D44 giving you the 6 on 5.5" bolt pattern or were you able to use your XJ rotor? TIA.

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
Hey Mad Cow,
I have the whole 9 yards for sale.

44 knuckles milled and drilled.
Hi Clearance arms. Caliper mounts off of a 1976 Cj. Almost new(less than 1000 miles) calipers, pads and Rotors (for a 1976 Cj).

The brakes are bigger. You will notice a increse in stopping power.

And 1.25" DOM Tierod and drag link for this set up.

I would like to get $400.00 plus shiping.
Also I come out to Simi pretty often. I could even deliver.

I ran this set up for a couple of months.

You can see the pics here:
photopoint.com

·
Registered
444 Posts
Originally posted by HeyBeerMan:
<STRONG>Hey Mad Cow,
I have the whole 9 yards for sale.

44 knuckles milled and drilled.
Hi Clearance arms. Caliper mounts off of a 1976 Cj. Almost new(less than 1000 miles) calipers, pads and Rotors (for a 1976 Cj).

The brakes are bigger. You will notice a increse in stopping power.

And 1.25" DOM Tierod and drag link for this set up.

I would like to get $400.00 plus shiping.
Also I come out to Simi pretty often. I could even deliver.

I ran this set up for a couple of months.

You can see the pics here:
photopoint.com</STRONG>
I'd like to take that package off your hands if I could just find someone to buy these wide track axles I have for sale. Is your tie rod / drag link set up for wide or narrow track axles?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Originally posted by MAD COW:
<STRONG>Hey Beer Man, Thank's, but I just bought a house and don't have that kind of cash right now. Maybe you could sell them to the Mut and he would want to get rid of his D30 knuckles and outers to me for cheap?</STRONG>
Are you just trying to swap from drum to disk? I will be needing to sell my knuckles and rotors.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a D30 housing, ring/pinion, and axles. I currently am running the narrow trac from a '78. Technically, I have everything I need on the narrow trac, outers disks, calipers, etc.., but I am currently running them, so what I wanted to do was just get the stuff I needed to complete the wide track, then swap the wide track in complete. I just didn't want to play Robin Hood on the narrow track, incase I go wheelin' before I can finish the job right.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I am working out the shipping details for that hi steer package and will be selling my knuckles, calipers, pads, and rotors when I recieve the hi steer. Do you need my old parts?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.