Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am swaping the ifs on the explorer for a dana 44 using leafs any info would help

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
You need to ask specific questions. It would also help to provide more information....such as the generation of your exploder. TTB/SLA.

To answer your question in general. Swapping in a leaf sprung axle will be about the same as swapping one in any vehicle. There is plenty of info to be searched on that.

Might want to check out www.explorerforum.com but you're probably already registered there.

Good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
d44

i saw the web pages above and they did help i have decided to run a dana 35 to match the lug pattern and 4.5 waggy leafs that should give me the hight to slap on 37s one question still hinders me and ill ask for help to answer do i weld the leaf brackets in front or in the back its a 92 and it will see some moderat to hard weeling a few times a year

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Re: d44

2much4x4 said:
i saw the web pages above and they did help i have decided to run a dana 35 to match the lug pattern and 4.5 waggy leafs that should give me the hight to slap on 37s one question still hinders me and ill ask for help to answer do i weld the leaf brackets in front or in the back its a 92 and it will see some moderat to hard weeling a few times a year
:confused: :confused: :confused:
If you're thinking of putting leafs on the TTB, that ain't gonna work very well :rolleyes:

Or did you mean Dana30? Your stock shit is better than that. Don't even bother with a 30.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i still have not decided i have a d30 right know. i would like to ues a d44 but it is not going to well with prices and find ind one with the same lug pattern

·
Registered
123 Posts
If I am thinking correctly you can use D30 outers on a 44? I am pretty sure you can do this, swap your spindles out from the 30 on to a 44 housing. You may also be able to use the stock spindles out on it. I would have to do some checking on that. What is so much better about a 44 than a 30 if it is a newer one with 44 size U joints? The 30 with warns would hold up to a whole lot from what I have seen.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Oh, and I have a front that would work well, but would probably be cheaper to find one local. You should be able to pick up a drivers drop 44 out of a waggy for a good price. 100 bucks or so I would think.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
make the lug patterns the same, huh........

I am going to assume that you don't have any money in your current rear axle. Therefore you should get front AND rear axles. This way they match. You'll need new wheels anyway since stockers suck. I'd go with a D44 in front. You'll have a lot of choices for the rear that way. You could go with basically anything. Just make sure it's atleast a 9".

Oh yea... welcome to PBB :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
Just to add, I remember somewhere in the middle 90's Four Wheeler had a article on a Dana 44 fullsize TTB that was shortened for the Explorer? But why not go with a HP 44 like Pumpkin Pilot?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would also go with the D44 front, then swap out your rear with a 9". Thats what I did, and its a lot easier.

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
Keep in mind though, simply putting a EB 9" in there would be a step DOWN in the strength department.. since they use smaller axles than what you allready have..

I would go with a set of full width F-150 axles.. HP 44, and a full width 9"

·
Registered
17 Posts
You could get some 31 splined axles made too if you wanted the 9".

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
2much4x4 said:
i still have not decided i have a d30 right know. i would like to ues a d44 but it is not going to well with prices and find ind one with the same lug pattern
Umm your stock axle is a Dana35.
Bigger gears, bigger axlejoints (post '95 Dana30s are the same joints)
and has real locking hubs (although the stock hubs are weak, Warn heavy-duty manuals pt# 37780 will fix that. Note these are NOT the ones listed under their Ford section for Explorer).

Again, use a D44 and convert the rear to match or don't bother. The Explorer is also much heavier than a Jeep, so when someone says their D30 in their jeep holds up well, that don't mean jack for that axle under a Explorer :flipoff2:

·
Registered
123 Posts
sorry about the miss information, I will have to do some research to see what/ how they were doing whatever.
What about having a machine shop re drill your stock rear axle shafts to match the front.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can also get spacers for the 8.8 that change the lug pattern from 5x4.5 to 5x5.5. Also I would go coil/radius arm setup, much easier, much less fabrication to worry about. If you're trying to do it on a real tight budget, then just be patient and wait until you have the right funds. No need to skimp out on shit only to regret it later.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
DasFrem said:
If you're trying to do it on a real tight budget, then just be patient and wait until you have the right funds. No need to skimp out on shit only to regret it later.
he's got a good point try to do it right to start with or at least make the upgrades easy to make. moderate to hard wheeling w/ 37's depending on width and tire choice you may be snapping stuff all the time. As far as full widths depends on what you want to do with it other than wheel it. & how frequently you want to drive it on the road. Fullsize axles aren't significantly bigger than what you have right now and can almost be compensated for by some seriously inset wheels if that is an issue.

If your strapped for cash & want to do a SAS then don't worry about having different lug patterns for a while just realize you need 2 spares or an adpater for the spare. I'd assume you are planning to upgade the rear eventually as well so you can correct the problem then

1 - 18 of 18 Posts