Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have the spindle nut socket and I cannot get the nut off. I've had the socket strapped to the hub and had an extension and rested the end of the exteniosn on a jack and put about 3 ft of square tube (my soon to be dshaft) and it still wont come off. I can put a ton of pressure on it but it still wont budge and eventually pops out. That was the method that seemed to work best but it still failed miserably. :mad3:

I was gonna try the impact gun but the only air source I have now is my trucks OBA. So I jump started my truck and got it running (started suprisingly fast actaully) only to find out the wiring got messed up for the compressor and by then it was too dark for me to mess with it. But considering my impact gun is kinda broken (hey it sometimes works) it probably would not have made a difference.

Is there anything I havent tried yet? Is there another tab or snap ring or something I need to take off that I havent and cant see? Am I doing something terribly wrong?

·
Registered
496 Posts
i am shure u know this and double checked, But i still have to post it.

Righty Tighty Lefty loosy

·
Registered
697 Posts
Pb-blast it, heat it with mapp gas, take a punch and hammer and tap on the spindle nut a little bit as this will sometimes break it loose, try holding the breaker bar in different positions.

·
Registered
14,847 Posts
best technique i use is to get a breaker bar where the part that the socket attaches to is in the middle. so you can put a pipe on both sides, if you just try to use one pipe it usually pops off. ive had them before where ive needed two people one push up and the other push down

·
Registered
366 Posts
I've had 8' of extra leverage (pipe) on an axle nut and a friend hanging on the end, bouncing up and down. And with this set-up it's 50/50 whether you'll break the nut free.

And if you're like me, you have a 1/2 drive socket. Which means you're using a 1/2" drive breaker bar. Which means I know what's going to happen :(

just use air... iif t's at all possible. It's way easier than having breaker bars BREAK... they can get pretty dangerous.

Next time, before you are doing an overhaul, stop at a local garage you're friendly with, take off your manual selector hubs and ask them to knock your axle nuts free then snug them up again... Just not tighten the Fuck out of 'em.

Then go straight home and do the repair. Don't drive around like that for any more than you need to.

That's what I've done in the past

1 - 6 of 6 Posts