Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am swapping a rear D44 from a Grand Wagoneer into my '94 YJ.

I read that I need to duplicate the pinion side-to-side offset of the D35 on the D44. If I do that, the Waggy axle will be shifted to the right about an inch and the pinion still does NOT line up exactly with the xfer case output. I assume the D35 pinion did not line up exactlly with the tcase output from the factory because of this.

I am installing a CV driveshaft. Can I center the new D44 axle so the wheel mounting surfaces are the same length from the perches on both sides?

I know the pinion needs to be pointed just below the center-line of the tcase output (when weighted) in the up/down plane but regarding the left/right plane, can the pinion be offset to the driver's side by an inch or two when running a CV driveshaft?

Thank you -

·
Registered
654 Posts
know the pinion needs to be pointed just below the center-line of the tcase output (when weighted) in the up/down plane but regarding the left/right plane, can the pinion be offset to the driver's side by an inch or two when running a CV driveshaft?

yes

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...a man of few words and the answer I wanted to hear...Thank you!

Now, if I could just find some u-bolts on a Sunday afternoon...

·
Registered
475 Posts
What year Waggy??

I'm running an 89 waggy D44 on my 94 YJ.

We placed the perches equally (side to side) on both sides measuring from the outside of the axle tube (not using the center section as a measuring point). It might be just a hair off-center but that hasn't created any issues in the 5 years we've been running this thing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's out of an '87 Wagoneer.
I think I read your on-line write-up the other night (Izzy)...surfed in from a Google search for "Dana 44 axle swap" or something like that. It was a good read...

Thanks for the reply!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts