Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has had any experience with this combo of components on a dana44, pros or cons? The abuse of a 44 inch tire and a 350 V-8 can be demanding, I think the CTM u-joints and alloy shafts, r&p and detroit locker would hold up, but for the ball joints that would be a different story. But besides the ball joints has anyone used this combo, any feedback?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Didn't like the replies to the first thread, so you started another one? How about you delete one of them.

It sounds like you already have your mind made up that this will survive. Why don't you try it if you're so confident and see how it holds up? For a little more money, you could have a D60 which would hold up.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
The shafts and joints might survive.

How bout if you try it and see if anything else breaks first?

I'm all about people that don't need Dana 60's not using up the supply. It just drives up the price for the rest of us

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
OK if you don't mind changig wheel bearings daily!

D44 is suspect with anything bigger than a 36 imho - and a 44 is A LOT bigger.

But do what you want:eek:

·
Registered
764 Posts
i knew a guy that ran 44 boggers on 22" wide barts with a d44 8 lug. he was pretty esay on it but still kept spitting caps off his joints.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
75F100 said:
i knew a guy that ran 44 boggers on 22" wide barts with a d44 8 lug. he was pretty esay on it but still kept spitting caps off his joints.

22" Wide wheels:confused: :eek: :eek: Kinda wide don't ya think.

I might be wrong but I think Scott (Rockstomper) ran a Dana 44 w/44"swampers for a while. One thing that helped him though is he's running a Toyota 4 popper. I think he's running a Dana 60 now if that tells ya anything. I would imagine if you had any kind of horsepower the pinion wouldn't like that size tire. I wouldn't think the Dana 44 bearings would hold up very long. With the size of a Dana44 chunk you can get pretty good ground clearence with 36's or 38's and not break stuff from to much weight. Maybe breakage from to much long skinny pedal.

But hey if you got the money to blow do it. I know I won't have to pull you off the trail. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
CTM's are breaking with 37" tires, but hey go for it. I know a guy that ran a bronco with a big block on 44's. He did every trail about 10 minutes at a time...between ujoint changes.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Wilson said:
CTM's are breaking with 37" tires, but hey go for it. I know a guy that ran a bronco with a big block on 44's. He did every trail about 10 minutes at a time...between ujoint changes.
ctms breaking with 37" tires damit and i was confadent untill now:flipoff2:
what weight where the rigs breaking with ctms and 37" tires ?

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
frankie finland said:

ctms breaking with 37" tires damit and i was confadent untill now:flipoff2:
what weight where the rigs breaking with ctms and 37" tires ?

Frankie,
I ran 38.50 SX tires, on a heavy comp rig, pushing 300 HP, with very few problems. You should get great performance with 37" tires and the D44 CTMs. Just make sure to set your steering stops where you dont bind the joints, and they will be fine.

As for the original question, 44" tires and a D44,...No way!!

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Lance said:

60's break with 35" tires. :rolleyes:

EVERYTHING breaks.... Mike and I broke two 60 ujoints in 2 obstacles last weekend.
You're right, everything breaks. Depends on the situation.

Jeff, I know you've broken at least 2 CTM joints with your setup. They're strong joints, probably the strongest, but not bomb proof and not stronger than the alloy axles anymore, IMO.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hp44,538's, warns and CTM's on 38sx's here, you will break a lot of shit with a tire any larger.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
camo 60 will do the trick :D

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
You are gonna shit ball joints and wheel bearings all over the trail.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Wilson said:

You're right, everything breaks. Depends on the situation.

Jeff, I know you've broken at least 2 CTM joints with your setup. They're strong joints, probably the strongest, but not bomb proof and not stronger than the alloy axles anymore, IMO.

I have broken 3 of them, but you have to read what I said in my 1st post, about setting the steering stops propperly.
One of my CTM's broke on a straight, hard throttle, steep climb, and I dont know what let go 1st, but the Warn inner let go at the yoke, the CTM lost one of the crosses at the trunion, and the warn outer shattered mid shaft. They were my original joints, and had been in for over a year, they had also been run in a couple of other comp rigs previousley before they were handed down to me. It was also a ridiculously hard romp on the fun pedal, when everything let go.
The other 2 failed when my steering stops collapsed under the load of the hydraulic steering, and I bound the joints baddly. The opposite sides in both cases, had very deep grooves in the yokes, from steering bind.

You are wrong about the strength of the shafts being stronger than the joints. I have had Warns, and Mosers fail under extreme loads on fairly straight conditions, both at the yokes and at the shafts/splines, and the CTMs have came out without a scratch.

You have to understand that a lot of my breakage is in an attempt to test the joints to their fullest and report the failures to Jack for his ongoing research to maintaine the best product he can. So some of the things I do, would be normaly ridiculouse abuse. And I do it knowing I have a full set of Warn shafts and CTMs spares(and knuckles/ ball joints) in their rack ready to take over if/when I destroy something.

It is very safe to say that the combo can handle 37" tires without cause for concern in most any situation.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Good God, this post is a joke, there is no way in hell a Dana 44 will hold up to that big a tire, I worry about my 60 with 42's and I only run a 6cyl. :rolleyes: If you want to drive down the road and look cool on 44's then you will probably be replacing bearing. Bottom line is, dont try, not to mention, I bet you could bend the housing with that big of a tire.:eek:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts