Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a glutton for punishment and I'm trying to throw even more money into my into my truck.

I have an 83 F250 with a D44HD front D61 rear and BW1345 transfer case. The truck also has 33" tires, and 3.55 gears.

I lucked across a Sterling 10.25 and D50 3rd member today for free. I'd really like to convert my D44HD to a D50 as I'd like to be able to plow with little more comfort. Unfortunately they're both 3.55 as well but I've found a ring and pinion set in 3.73 on Craigslist from a 2001 f-350. He claims they might also a Ford 10.25 and Dana 60. He's only asking $100 and but I remember seeing it a looooong time ago.

How can I monkey this stuff to work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Don't bother with only a pumpkin or r&p swap. The D50 axle joints and hubs are bigger strength items. Wait for the whole setup, or go D60.

·
Old School
1,877 Posts
Around my area complete Stupor Duty D50's are a dime a dozen. For that matter, pairs of 99-04 SD axles can be had cheap. Sounds like you are trying to do this axle swap cheap cheap. Swapping gears is not cheap. Find a matched set, bolt them in. Done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely trying to do this on the cheap. I'm less concerned about the ratio swap and more about the D50 upgrade. I'd like to get a plow as the city doesn't come into my neighborhood in deep snow for several weeks.

What should I be on the lookout for? Just a complete D50? What should I expect to spend on one? If I did try to switch to 3.73 what's the best redneck way to do it lol? If at all possible I'd love to get rid of the open diff in the rear but unfortunately the D61 and the 10.25 are open 3.55.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
The redneck way, using 80-97 parts will get you 3.54 or 4.10 ratio.

3.73 is 99+ superduty; metric bolt pattern, rear disc, etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't know that. I'm not sure I want to go all the way to 4.10. Most of the work this truck will be doing is lumber, dirt/sand, firewood, and trailer towing. Maybe use the plow 2-3 times a year.

Would it be cheaper to find a D50 or a D60? Will the ride quality suffer significantly? (I already ride like a tank)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've found 3 D60's. $900 and 2 at $1000... Seems steep.

·
Old School
1,877 Posts
D50 and D60 in Stupor dutys are almost identical. Knuckles and outers are the same. R&P is of course smaller in the 50. Here is a D50 front/Sterling 10.5 rear at a junkyard 28 miles from me. 4.10's in both but there are plenty of 3.73's out there also. Looking at 450 for the pair. The front 60's are found in F350 whereas most, if not all, F250's (in 99-04 range) used the D50. I paid $200 for the 02 D60 in my buggy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,797 Posts
The Dana 50 3rd will not fit your Dana 44 beams, you will need to find a whole Dana 50 beam setup, those will be leaf spring too, is yours a leaf or a coil front end.

The super duty uses a different pinion on the 10.25/10.5 then a 10.25 that would of come behind a TTB truck.

The only advantage of the TTB 44 to 50 swap IMO is the larger wheel brakes and larger wheel bearings. Those can be swapped onto your Dana 44 beams, it's pretty common, or it use to be anyway.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
80's 4x4 F250s all have leafs.

A whole 50ttb setup should cost less than $200. It's scrap for the guys putting in a D60.

The ttb50's larger 1350 series axle joints are a benefit too.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The Dana 50 3rd will not fit your Dana 44 beams, you will need to find a whole Dana 50 beam setup, those will be leaf spring too, is yours a leaf or a coil front end.

The super duty uses a different pinion on the 10.25/10.5 then a 10.25 that would of come behind a TTB truck.

The only advantage of the TTB 44 to 50 swap IMO is the larger wheel brakes and larger wheel bearings. Those can be swapped onto your Dana 44 beams, it's pretty common, or it use to be anyway.
That's not true. The Dana 50 3rd will bolt into the Dana 44 center. You also get bigger balljoints, a bigger spread between the balljoints, larger wheel bearings, and bigger u joints.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm really liking the idea of the better brakes on a D50? Are they significantly better? I'm also thinking of fabricating myself a bracket for some E350 disks for my D61 in the read and ditch my drums. I've already towed a 5x10 tandem trailer and the bed with firewood and I definitely want more brakes. I've had 2 yards of sand in the bed, too much by the way, and felt I needed better then too.

There was a D50 in the junkyard today I took some sway bar parts from but they wanted too much and it wasn't complete anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
The beams are the same between D44HD and D50. You can bolt either 3rd and axles/knuckles/spindles onto them.

For a work truck fuck that, get a pair of '99-04 axles or swap in a D60.

The D50 3rd will fit all the D44 TTB beams. Whether you can use the knuckles and everything outside them depends on whether you have leaf sprung of coil sprung beams. His D44HD is leaf sprung.

That's not true. The Dana 50 3rd will bolt into the Dana 44 center. You also get bigger balljoints, a bigger spread between the balljoints, larger wheel bearings, and bigger u joints.

Care to explain how the D50 has wider ball joint spacing when it uses the exact same beam?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts