Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been all over the net and it doesn't look like anyone makes a spool for a d50. Anyone know if there's ever been one? Need one to machine for 35 spline shafts.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Already have the D50 geared and locked, I'm not going to break the R&P before one of the little 1.3" shafts, and in order for me to run 35 spline inners I need something with enough material to machine: a spool or ARB. I'm not going to spend the money on an ARB, so spool it is. . . if they make one.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Sell the fucker and buy a 60. You will be happy in the end and aren't trading good money for bad. You should be able to sell a locked and geared 50 to someone for just shy of what you have into it. Just add everything up with having to buy a spool if you can find one, machine it, get axle shafts made, install gears, etc. and see where all the $ fall out. Once you have the $ for each, then ask yourself if just going to the 60 is worth the delta, I can almost guarantee that it is.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can make a 50 spool out of a 44 spool. You used to even be able to buy a 35spline spool for a 44.
yeah but can I bolt my d50 ring gear to it?. . . .

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Is there enough meet to machine the carrier to take dana 60 35 spline side gears? then you can weld them in there to the spiders and who care's if they touch or not as long they can be welded.

I think thats about the only thing you can do you get a 35 spline spool in a dana 50.

Jason.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there enough meet to machine the carrier to take dana 60 35 spline side gears? then you can weld them in there to the spiders and who care's if they touch or not as long they can be welded.

I think thats about the only thing you can do you get a 35 spline spool in a dana 50.

Jason.
I hadn't even thought about going that route. . . I've got an extra carrier I can play with. I'll have to take a look at it and find some d60 side gears. Anyone have any they wanna donate? :D

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Let me see, i might have a set of side gears.

I will say even if you cant machine the carrier then maybe you can atleast machine the side gears to fit your carrier.
But i think if you have to machine the side gears then they may not be enough to slide shafts threw the carrier jurnals.

I'm even tempeted to say you could maybe somehow cut the side gears off flush and place them inside the 50 carrier ( agian somehow centering them ) and then just weld them up.
Making sure they stay center and then make double sure you can get 1.5" shafts threw the dana 50 carrier before you start.

Jason.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got a set from a local guy today, so tonight once I get done on my Blazer I'll be checking that out. The D60 side gears look considerably bigger than the D50 ones if I remember correctly. We'll find out tonight.

If they don't fit I had already thought about turning the side gears down to fit in the carrier with the D50 spiders. The spigot might have to come off completely, I'll have to measure all that. I've got some 10.50 35 spline shafts laying around, I'll grab one of those just to make sure the D50 carrier will actually accept them. I'm pretty sure they will, otherwise nothing a lathe can't cure. . . I need a machinist buddy or a winning lottery ticket for a lathe and mill. . .

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
If your refering to a 10.5 rear steerling axle they wont fit the dana 35 spline side gears. The ford 10.25 and 10.5 use a differnet pressure angle than the dana 60 and other dana 35 spline flavor axle shafts.

Well i know for certon the 10.25 use's a different pressure angle but the maybe the 10.5 is the same, so maybe im wrong on that end. But i dought ford would change the pressure angle between the two.

But any dana 70 rear shaft will work and yes you might have to cut off the spigot and just use the spline section of the gear. I would think that would b enough to work.

Jason.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a quick update:
The spigot will have to be cut off and the carrier will have to be reamed out for the 1.5", 35 spline shaft to fit. Once I get the spigots cut off, I'll be able to get the side gears in and see how much machining it will take for the side gears to sit flush inside the carrier and how/if I'll be able to get the spiders in there too. I would think that just welding the side gears to the carrier wouldn't be strong enough, so I'm going to try and get the spiders into the mix as well. So all in all it looks like this might be a cheap solution to the 1 weak link to the D50.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Just a quick update:
The spigot will have to be cut off and the carrier will have to be reamed out for the 1.5", 35 spline shaft to fit. Once I get the spigots cut off, I'll be able to get the side gears in and see how much machining it will take for the side gears to sit flush inside the carrier and how/if I'll be able to get the spiders in there too. I would think that just welding the side gears to the carrier wouldn't be strong enough, so I'm going to try and get the spiders into the mix as well. So all in all it looks like this might be a cheap solution to the 1 weak link to the D50.
Sounds like it could work then, cool post some Pics. I run across Dana 50's from time to time, be nice to see them being upgraded and used in out world.

Jason.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Bringing this thread back to life. I've posted on the Yukon page to see if they would start making a 35 spline spool for the Dana 50. I know arb is doing it so it is possible and would be a much cheaper route. If anyone would be interested in this please post your opinion on that thread. Wanna see this happen.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1080372

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Bringing this thread back to life. I've posted on the Yukon page to see if they would start making a 35 spline spool for the Dana 50. I know arb is doing it so it is possible and would be a much cheaper route. If anyone would be interested in this please post your opinion on that thread. Wanna see this happen.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1080372
ARB said they were going to make a 35 spline D50 carrier.

As for D44 35 spline spool I've looked there is a couple specialty shops that will make custom ones but expensive no off the shelf stuff as of a year ago but Motive said they were working on one.
As for D50 35 spline I haven't seen them.
A custom one will probably be around the same price as an ARB.
Jantz said he would make one from a D60 spool if I really wanted one.

So you all know D50 have about but not exactly the same size carrier bearing as the D44 so you would need to find a larger ID bearing like ARB does and have a larger carrier bearings surface to fit the shaft through.

You are better off like everyone says to replace the axle with a D60. the D50 has the same size yoke spline as the D44 and D30.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Mine came with a 1350 yoke.
Sorry I wasn't talking about U-joint size I was talking about shaft size/spline count you can bolt a D30 yoke onto a D50.
I've seen pinions snap right off.

JK D44 upgraded to D60 pinion yoke size.

·
Registered
95 Posts
So I wonder if I got the r&p cryoed if this would fix that problem. I wonder how extensive machining is necessary to turn a 60 spool to a 50.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i am building a budget front axle out of a superduty 50. i took some 35 spline 60 side gears and lathed them down to fit in the 50 carrier, then lathed out the carrier axle holes to accept the 35 spline shafts, the got a d44 to toy pattern drive flange. i also installed some trail gear axle seals for good measure! i can post some pics later if your curious to see more! im gonna get the gears cryoed! :D

1 - 20 of 47 Posts