Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need a centered rear dif (Atlas) but wanted to stay with my stock front. Got some good advice/options on the board, thought I found one, got jerked around, found another...

Got to thinking "why not go big and be done with it?" I found what looks to be a good deal:

Dodge single wheel dana 60 front, open knuckle, 4.10 gear, bolt on drive flanges with matching 60 rear. $1000 for the pair.
Axles are complete and still under truck. Located in S.W. Missouri.

Thought I'd use the stock dana spring perch locations and adjust my hanger location to accomadate, then run cheap hummer beadlocks with that crazy offset to get the width down. My frame is already stripped & currently being sandblasted, I have to fabricate new hangers/body mounts anyway due to rust.

Am I missing something? :rolleyes: Any and all advice welcome- I don't know S**t about D60 axles and a grand plus shipping is alot of beans on my salary!

Chris

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
I dont think $1000 for a set is that good of a deal myself. Thats just me though. If it were a chevy 60 front it might be a differnt story.

For a cheep effective rear end I would go with a 14 bolt. Dont get much stronger or cheeper then that. The 14 bolt you can get in single wheel (67") or duel (64").

Remember the hummer wheels have 7 somthing inches of back space. Thats alot. Might even be more narrow then what you want to be. Plus if your still running a toy front you will have the differnt lugs on the wheels to deal with.

Just get a matching 60 front. You know you want it. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I say go big. Do it once and do it right. You won't regret going to a D60 front. That is my cure for the the birfield blues..:D

Might want to look at a rear 14 bolt and consider shaving it. I think they are stronger than a D60 and a detroit locker is real cheap.

Charles

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me.

The later Dodges have a standard Drivers drop. So be careful about that.

What is the vintage of the axles?

With the proper year the Dodge axles are just as good as the Chevy axles.

If you can, get the full widths and hummer rims.
Weld the rear lock up the front and you are golden//

·
Old Rock Doc
1,779 Posts
Eric D has apparently not priced D60s recently or has an awfully cheap source:D $1k is a good price for the pair. The difference between the Dodge and GM fronts is not worth worrying about, IMO. The rear is almost guranteed to be a 30-spline unit, but depending on how hard core you wheel, that might not be a problem. Personally , I would rather narrow the front axle than outboard the springs (for articulation reasons), but that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Medusa said:
Eric D has apparently not priced D60s recently or has an awfully cheap source:D $1k is a good price for the pair.
Seek and ye shall find. Maybe I am just a cheep ass but I would wait it out. $800 for both of these:flipoff2:

Attachments

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Erik D_lux said:

Seek and ye shall find. Maybe I am just a cheep ass but I would wait it out. $800 for both of these:flipoff2:
Good deal, but it is NOT the norm..

If you can wait you can always find a better deal.

1000 is not really a bad deal IMHO..

·
Premium Member
8,609 Posts
Erik D_lux said:

Nice work that is a good deal... I paid 1100 for my 60 and 14 bolt and thought I got a screaming deal.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Dont get me wrong. I totally agree I got a screaming deal. I had to wait. Time was on my side. I waited 7 mths before I found them.

If I had to do it all over again I think I could find another set for $800.

Is $1000 bad? No. Personally I would just wait for another $800 set to come along :flipoff2:

·
Registered
366 Posts
$1000 is a deal, it is not a screaming deal though. In So Cal you can buy a FF D60 for about $150 that means and the front D60 costs $850.

Then sell the rear D60 and buy a 14 bolt and never look back

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Erik D_lux said:

will you be interested in selling them to me for $900 US complete?

depending on:
do the ratios match? what is the rear?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts