Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
History:
A friend of mine and I decided to convert a high pinion D60 to use as a full float rear.
We used 14 bolt outer shaft and spindles, grafted them to the D60 tubes (or what was left of them after cutting the yokes off). We trued up the ends of the tube as best we could in a lathe. When we welded the spindle ends to the shaft, they were straight. After welding, they are a little crooked, about 1/8th inch or so. I've got a few ideas on how to pull it back in to true. I'd like to run them by the list, and see what you think the best method will be.

1) heat the circumference of the tube close to where it was welded (suspected misalignment site) and quench the "high" side of the bend to pull it back into alignment.

2).Heat in same manner as above, but instead of quenching, use a press to straighten.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
does the Shafts Hit Bad I wouldnt think So cause theSpindles on the 14 Bolt's are Alot Bigger than 1.5 Shaft i would say Run it if only 1/8 Inch Let the bearing take it up Once You hit That Fawker One good time On a Rock You think That Housing Is Gonna be True
Uh No!

if it Bind's the carier Then You Got problems !! then I would Think about Jigging up Again And Heating Pressing it Strait

waht Locker is he runnning If or Detroit,ARB NO !

if Spool Or Welded run It

My .02cents Adam,,,

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wasn't so much worried about the axle shaft rubbing, as I was the mis-alignment causing a bow in the shaft and over time wallowing out the splines or work hardening the shaft and breaking it. The bore size of the 14 bolt spindles is a little over 1 9/16", and I'll be using 35 spline Dutchman axles (I think they neck down a little at the end inside the spindle). Already got the ARB for it, and damn sure don't wanna screw that up.

Thanks for the info, I think I'll use aproach # 2 so I can at least control the amount of change as I do it.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Yeah If You are Running ARB Jig It Up Again

And Start Pressing

Adam,,

·
Team *******
786 Posts
How did you match up the spindles? Did you press them in or did you just do a butt weld?
When I did mine i welded up the inside of the tube area then turned down the spindles so that they would press into the tubes that way i knew they were centered. Then I assembled the bearings, hubs and shafts. That way I knew that everything was aligned just the way it needed to be.
Something else to think about. I also was going to use 14 bolt outers, but when i went to get the dutchman shafts from Randy's ring and pinion the bolt pattern for the hub is different than what they sell. If i wanted to still use the 14 bolt stuff then I would have had to call Dutchman directly and have the shafts custom made. They would have cost me almost twice as much compared to what my price from Randy's was. So instead I went down to the local junkyard and found a D61 for $75.00 and robbed the parts that I needed.
I know I didn't answer your question but i hope i helped you out before you ran into other probs.
If you are wanting to talk to Randy's about the axles talk to Jeremy at ext#5533

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Here is an RC60 with 14b ends

[ 10-07-2001: Message edited by: 66CJdean ]

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, sounds like it's gonna be a good week to straighten this housing. I wont have it in in time for the Az Jamboree in a couple weeks, but Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was my Jeep.
To the guy who posted the pics, did you build that axle, or buy it?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
He Built It!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Bill... welcome to the board.

Was that the housing you got from me? If so, was there anything wrong with it (hope not) or are you just having problems with the part you grafted on?

Good Luck,
LarryM

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It looks like the calipers were meant to be mounted horizontally at the top, that way both bleeders for what looks like a dual piston would work.

Yup, Larry this is the housing you gave me.
Uf I can't get the tubes straightened out this week, I'll probably have to pony up the cash to have it done at Blake's machine shop.
I think I'll get it though.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Big dog: Good to see you here. Hey, if it's not worked out by the Jambo, at least you can still run the access road. That's gotta be, what, at least a 4.0??
Dion

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Originally posted by DesertJeeper:
<STRONG>Dean,

Do you have any close up pics of the caliper brackets? Did you make them?</STRONG>
I made them. They are made from 5/16 plate and the flat spot at the top was just to save weight nothing else. The calipers are corvette.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
That's cool, I was thinking about doing that someday. It looks like the pumpkin is offset. I assume that RC D60 started out as a Ford front end. Is that true? Did you just have to knock off the knuckles and weld flanges on, or did you have to replace the tubes? How wide did it end up being? Thanks,

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I had to add some the short side and then just weld on the spindles. It ended up being 60" wms/wms with 27.5" spring centers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts