Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to do a 1ton swap on my 96 T100 and not sure if i should use the 14B or 60 in the rear. Powertrain is the run of the mill 3.4 with and auto. I'm going to be running 40 iroks and don't know if the 5:38's are going to be low enough to have the truck drive at a decent speed with out killing the tranny when going from trail to trail or trail to home. I like the strength of the 14 bolt compaired to the 60 but i know the 60 has way more gearing options. I already have a 14BFF that i would like to use. I haven't ordered the u bolt kits yet but i'm going to Monday and then the fun starts.

What do you guys think?

Booger how was your grey taco with IIRC 6:17's?

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
D70 rear with 6.17's.

Your auto won't like 5.38's with 40's and a 35 spline d70 will be much sturdier than a 30 spline d60.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I assume you are using a low pinion Chevy or Dodge Dana 60 and are passenger side diff drop. If so I too would recommend a Dana 70 with 6:17's or 5:89's. I love my high pinion Dana 60 and 14 bolt, but with a 3.4, 5spd, and 42's on recentered heavy ass H1's I could use a little more grunt on the street. If you do go with a dana 60 don't waste your time with a 30 spline rear. I broke a handful of those shafts before I swapped the 14 bolt in.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys! i was going to lean toward the 60/70 but i was curious what your guys experiance was.

Thanks alot guys:beer::beer:

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kickass

Well good news and forward progress. I had the day off and top of the list of things to due was find a dana 70 for the rear. I looked all day and NOTHING, just retards at salvage yards that said "we don't have any 1 ton trucks chevy, dodge or ford":homer:. I stand outside the fence and yards full of 1 tons:mad3:

I got home and made a couple calls and GUESS WHAT??? The last call i mad a older dairy farmer says i got a DANA 70HD:smokin: i'll trade ya for your 14B straight across. I cant check it out till sunday. If it is a 70 i can order my swap parts from ruff stuff and START THIS PIG!!!!:smokin::smokin:

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Well good news and forward progress. I had the day off and top of the list of things to due was find a dana 70 for the rear. I looked all day and NOTHING, just retards at salvage yards that said "we don't have any 1 ton trucks chevy, dodge or ford":homer:. I stand outside the fence and yards full of 1 tons:mad3:

I got home and made a couple calls and GUESS WHAT??? The last call i mad a older dairy farmer says i got a DANA 70HD:smokin: i'll trade ya for your 14B straight across. I cant check it out till sunday. If it is a 70 i can order my swap parts from ruff stuff and START THIS PIG!!!!:smokin::smokin:
Just remember if you wish to pull the WMS in a couple of inches then swap to the dually hubs from either a dana 70 or a 14bolt. They are the exact same hub.

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
I'm running 5.13's & 40's and it's the perfect set up for me, I can actually use cruise control on the interstate again :smokin:.
And most importantly, a V8! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
:smokin: I'll be watching this build . That's what I was originally going to build , a 1-ton T-100 .
I'm pretty excited about it!!!:bounce2:

Got a couple things i'm trying to figure but shouldn't be an issues.

Not all of use have V8's, I can get a 6bt cummins and put in there though:evil: but i'm not going to get over my head yet i don't even have axles under it yet

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm really leaning toward the 14B because i already have it but i do like the gear options of the 70. i don't really see that big of a differance between them other then gears and the 14B has a pinon support. Any other reason good or bad?

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
I'm really leaning toward the 14B because i already have it but i do like the gear options of the 70. i don't really see that big of a differance between them other then gears and the 14B has a pinon support. Any other reason good or bad?
go look at as dana70u and your 14 bolt, it will be self explainitory...5.38s arent gonna push 40s up the highway ESPECIALLY with the auto, i dont care what anyone says

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Still, just doesn't seem like there would be that much of a difference to warrant 6.17's?
Your stock 3.90's are about 10% higher than most 3.4/auto's 4.30's.
But your v8 also has about 43% more torque than our 3.4's (315 vs. 220). That's huge.

6.17's are about 14% lower than 5.38's, and its pretty well known that these v6 auto's are MUCH happier with lower gears. They are geared pretty high. Even with low axle gears the rpms stay down because of the extra high overdrive.

I am pretty happy with my 30 spline 60 rear. it had dutchman shafts and 5.38's. no problems yet.
With a 22r though?
And why start with something that already needs upgrading when there are beefier stock/junkyard options?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
D70

go look at as dana70u and your 14 bolt, it will be self explainitory...5.38s arent gonna push 40s up the highway ESPECIALLY with the auto, i dont care what anyone says
Your stock 3.90's are about 10% higher than most 3.4/auto's 4.30's.
But your v8 also has about 43% more torque than our 3.4's (315 vs. 220). That's huge.

6.17's are about 14% lower than 5.38's, and its pretty well known that these v6 auto's are MUCH happier with lower gears. They are geared pretty high. Even with low axle gears the rpms stay down because of the extra high overdrive.
This is the biggest reason i would go with the D70 because of the gear ratio's. As far as after market support there abou the same.

The auto is pretty OLD it got 200K+ on it so i don't know how long it will hold up anyways. I do have a R150 from a 3.0 that i can swap into it but i think i'll need to a T100 R150 bellhousing if i read correctly:confused: and then find a set of petals plumb the clutch hydrolics.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts