Pirate 4x4 banner

suggested path forward:

• ream 60 spindles, install side gears, weld; take out the trash.

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • detroit and regear this 70, sell or trade the 60.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • sell or trade the 70 intact and get another one.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • why regear it? 3.07's and 40" tires work great together.

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 5000-lb truck, will be running 38's or 39.5's. Was planning to swap in a 70, but the one I got is a bastard axle. :mad: 70-3 HD (-U ?) "aerodynamic cab" with 31/32" pinion offset. Only gear option to use the Power-Loc carrier in it is 4.56; only other carrier option is Detroit 225SL58E, which has a larger offset to use standard 4.56-down D70 gears in this POS housing. My 60 rear (30 spline open diff) already has 4.10's, and the 35-spline axles out of the 70 are exactly the same length as the 30 spliners in it now - just need to get reamers. Also have a set of 35-spline side gears for an open 60 carrier. I know the 70 has bigger brakes and is stronger throughout, but how many people break 35-spline rear 60's that wouldn't also break a 70? Is the strength advantage of the D70 worth ~$850 in gears, bearings and detroit? The 60 has a tad more ground clearance, but not much. Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I know. Thanks guys. Just wanted to see if anyone was going to chime in with tales of 60 carnage "...that a 70 could've survived." Two people so far have said spend nearly a kilobuck on this boat anchor without giving any reason. Do they have one, or are they just noise? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Go to pick and pull on half price day, look for a big van or truck and for an hour of laber and $60 you got the right 70. Then throw in a Detroit and you got a nice axle before lunch time.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Freshman said:
Go to pick and pull on half price day, look for a big van or truck and for an hour of laber and $60 you got the right 70. Then throw in a Detroit and you got a nice axle before lunch time.
In New Mexico? Either you've never been here or you're smoking something pretty strong. Most yards don't have anything with 8 lugs. Those that do are damn proud of it. $60 my ass; try $600 for a 14-bolt FF. $600 for a fulltime Dodge front 44 with unit-bearing hubs. $900 for a GM front 44 (8 lug) with lockouts. And before you suggest buying one on the 'net, ask yourself how I could've found such a treasure as this 70, and a 61 front.

Your suggestion makes perfect sense if you add a 900+ mile drive each way to it. Just wish I'd done that in the first place. :(

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Next time I go to NM I think I will take a trailer full of axles and retire. Those prices are waayy out of line, they must be really proud of them.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Danger Ranger said:
I voted for the 3.07's and 40's :flipoff2:

I agree just build the 35 spliner 60 since you've got the parts and your 70 is a P.O.S.
i did exactly the same vote and agree entirely

go the 35spline 60 and 40s :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts