Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BUILDING A TUBE CHASSIS COMMANDO 4.3L/SM465/205

WHICH AXLE WOULD YOU USE IN THE REAR? :confused:

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have a YJ with a 60 front and 14 bolt rear. I would go dana 70 cause you can get lower gears then 5.13 for it or 35 spline 60 for better ground clearence I wish I built a 60 rear but too late I shaved my axle alittle maybe 3/4"-1" but not enough it hits the rocks like IKE TURNER did TINA TURNER :flipoff2:
I am gonna shave it like these pics maybe around xmas

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
What about an Eaton? You can get em stock w/ 5.13 and a detroit. Or run 14 blt side gears and shafts and weld it up. They have great clearance and a the yoke is kinda half way up, more shaft clearance then a LP.

·
Registered
809 Posts
SF 14 bolt would be stronger than 30 spline 60, but then again you could run a 35 spline SF 60.... C-Clips aren't an issue if you don't break axles, huh?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good Point!

I Guess Niether One Would Be My First Choice, But I Have
Them Both Laying In My Garage, So Lets Go With A Direct Vote Between The Two!

·
Registered
766 Posts
the good-14 bolt cheaper stronger ARBs are bank, detroits are $325 and welding is is free. 3.5"x.5" axle tubes/Full Floater 1.69 30spline shafts and easy to find. pinion is closer to axle center line for better drive shaft angles,third pinion support lik ford 9" to resist pinion deflection under heavy load you know for when you FULLY GET IT!!!!!!!!

the bad- 5.13 gear limit, one hell of a pig, paper thin diff cover pain in the ass to fill side acess fill plug. did I say they are heavy

FINAL ANSWER- 14 BOLT :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
Conzilla said:
the good-14 bolt cheaper stronger ARBs are bank, detroits are $325 and welding is is free. 3.5"x.5" axle tubes/Full Floater 1.69 30spline shafts and easy to find. pinion is closer to axle center line for better drive shaft angles,third pinion support lik ford 9" to resist pinion deflection under heavy load you know for when you FULLY GET IT!!!!!!!!

the bad- 5.13 gear limit, one hell of a pig, paper thin diff cover pain in the ass to fill side acess fill plug. did I say they are heavy

FINAL ANSWER- 14 BOLT :flipoff2:

he is talking about a SF 14-bolt

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Conzilla said:
the good-14 bolt cheaper stronger ARBs are bank, detroits are $325
Have you priced Detroits for a 14b lately? Try closer to $425 nowadays. People keep quoting this $325-350 range, but noone can show where they can get them that cheap anymore. Prices have gone up folks. They're still cheaper than any other axle though.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Conzilla said:
I would look for a j10 dana 60 it has 35 spline semi floater and 6lug use the matching dana 44 front and you are set just ge the supior and CTMS
huh? never heard of that from the factory. The semi-float version (60-2) was 5-lug bolt. And was gone in 1973, which predates the J-10/J-20 numbering.

You could put 6-lug shafts in one, but in my years of FSJing, I've never heard of what you speak of from the factory.

Which reminds me, whatever happened to the stock FSJ driver's drop 20 t-case with texas pattern that someone owes a picture of?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I got my 14 bolt Detroit from Randy's (www.ring-pinion.com) for $381. Best price I could find, as were the gears I got. This was last week.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
CSP said:
Have you priced Detroits for a 14b lately? Try closer to $425 nowadays. People keep quoting this $325-350 range, but noone can show where they can get them that cheap anymore. Prices have gone up folks. They're still cheaper than any other axle though.

Gears 4 Less - $309 14B Detroit
4Wheelers Supply& Off Road Center - $259 14B Lock Rite (pretty much the same as the detroit)

:smokin:

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Conzilla said:
I got mine in march for $325
I love it. Great price but no source of where others can get it. Pretty much worthless info to anyone else.:rolleyes:

C'mon man, share the wealth like the others who found them that cheap have. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Differance Between 14bolt Sf And Ff Whenm It Coms To Lckrs

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
MOOSEKNUCKLE said:
Differance Between 14bolt Sf And Ff Whenm It Coms To Lckrs
Is this a question or a statement?

Difference in what respect? Strength? Price? Availability?

Ever checked websites for gear retailers?

www.ring-pinion.com has lotsa info.

Still waiting for Conzilla to spill the info on where he got this $325 Detroit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts