Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so got a free set of d60's and my buddie is trying to tell me that the rear is a waste of time and that i need to run a 14 bolt instead while i realize that the 14 is stronger i dont think i will ever break the 60 as i never broke a cruiser rear 'cept for a pinion or five...
i am running a fj40 with a 6.2 diesel and a sm465

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
rear 60 has better ground clearance than the 14b... The 60 weighs less than the 14b as well...

Are you breaking the front or rear pinion? Do you have a wrap bar on the rear? Curious only...

If I had a complete set of 60's to go in like yourself Id do it... Besides strength you end up with better brakes, no more trunnion bearings, ability to go stronger on the axle shafts, stronger housing than a cruiser, etc...

Post some pics of the rig... This forum needs some life put back in it...

Chris:cool2:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This forum needs some life put back in it...

Chris:cool2:
that is so true!!!

any way i dont have any nerw pics at the moment, i am striped to the frame and after i have it sand blastedc i will start a build thread i am going to do front and rear 4 links and i am shoprtening the frame and tubing the rear with a planed wheel base of like 104-107 i havent decided yet.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
size tires. I would go with 60 tho, why waste your time looking for or buying a 14 bolt. Im going to run a 14 because I got it for free. but not going to run it anytime soon tho

·
Registered
18 Posts
not to hijack, but im in about the same lines... looking to choose either a 14 or a D60. anyone got any strength specs on either?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Cut the spindles off the 60, weld up 14 spindles and use 14 bolt shafts, spindles and hubs. Or bore the 60 spindles and put 35 spline in it

·
Registered
585 Posts
not to hijack, but im in about the same lines... looking to choose either a 14 or a D60. anyone got any strength specs on either?
A 14 is much stronger. don't have exact specs, but you don't hear of 14b's breaking very often....but rear 60s???

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
The rear 60 will have probably 16 or 30 spline shafts. The 14 bolt will have 30 spline shafts but is 1.5". The stock 60 rear shafts are weak.
When I went with 1 tons, I did a 14 bolt because to bore the 60 and order 35 spline 1.5" shafts you are looking @ another $400-$500. The 14 bolt already has that strength.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well last night itraded some tube work for a 14 bolt so i guess i am going to go that way... might as well go rugged to begin with

the next question is who has shaved their 14 bolt? got any pics?

·
Registered
29,928 Posts
yup and a ground down 14 has slightly less g/c than a d60, like a 1/4" less. but smoothing the bottom out is where it makes the most improvement.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I used a porta-band saw to cut most of the lower lip off of my 14 bolt ,then finished it off with a grinder. It is now a 13 bolt. I cut out 2/3rds of the lowest bolt hole before putting the grinder to it. Once that was done, I welded a short piece of 1/2'' square stock inside the bottom edge of the diff, flush with the bolt surface. This was done to give back some sealing surface for the form-a-gasket to stick to. I also bought a hd diff cover from bluetorch fab and trimmed it to fit at the same time. With the hd diff cover you run less chance of leakage imo.

·
Registered
454 Posts
yup and a ground down 14 has slightly less g/c than a d60, like a 1/4" less. but smoothing the bottom out is where it makes the most improvement.
But you can also shave a 60 down to about the dana 44 size

·
Registered
454 Posts
and still have a weaker axle than a 14bff.

you could always go to mogs and have a + centerline
Just making a point that it was bias info. 14 bolt is weaker than 5 ton rockwells so you should run those. dee deedee

·
Registered
454 Posts
What size of tires are going on the end of the axle? If you are going for less than 40, is a 14 bolt really needed?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts