Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally bought a front 60:D
But I found out the two holes that are tapped on the spring pad mounting surface look kinda shitty:confused:
My options are:
a) Find someone to fill ( weld up )the holes and retap the threads
b) Heli coil ( kinda shaky on that idea )
c) Drill and tap to a bigger bolt size

Anyone run into this and repaired it or know a shop ( Bay area ) thats repaired these before?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
482 Posts
dont bother with those studs you should u bolt it. i will be doing mine this weekend in livermore if you want to come check out how i do it its cool. just bring some:beer:

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Dont even F%@K with those stupid studs. They will eventually pull out or break again. Definetly U-bolt that side too. There are a few different ways to do it. Sorry no pics, but you can drill a hole in the webbing on the backside of housing, and notch the bottom of diff web to accept a long u-bolt. Or drill hole in front webbing, and feed u-bolt in sideways "under housing right next to about center of the diff". Either way is good. I know someone who sells, u-bolts, new spring plate, as a kit, e-mail me and I will send u his info. Its what I run. [email protected]

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
well poop if you all are doing this send me your damn spring plate, my threads are fine just need teh proper plate and im all good! jiMMy

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
The Jerk said:
well poop if you all are doing this send me your damn spring plate, my threads are fine just need teh proper plate and im all good! jiMMy
lol:D :D :D :D :D
Only problem your spring plates have is the the proper torque on the bolts.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
i have my own system, 2-3 grunts = 40-60 ft lbs! and so on! gues si need to figure out a new ratio then! jiMMy

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Keith said:
That 60 is not worth shit now, maybe $100.
Whose is, mine or u just punking Highlander? :D

BTW, The Jerk, I got a Pass-side diff spring plate that will fit from a Dodge Dana60"mine". If u want it let me know!

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
If you're not keen on notching the webbing (I wasn't) you should be able to pick up a cast piece from Ford the fits over the D60 webbing by the diff. I looked at mine and see no reason why it wouldn't work on a chevy.

It's just a small cast piece that fits over the webbing, contours to the housing, and has 4 holes in it. You can notch it and run square u-bolts upside down, or run it the way it came (square u-bolts, nuts down:D ) I worried about notching that webbing and after a axle builder warned against it I decided to go this route. Something about possible cracking the housing on my $2500 axle made me wat to :barf: . I know it might be a rare occurence, but it would happen to me because of this trange thing called bad luck:)

·
Registered
979 Posts
Bigdude, I was intrigued by that idea and had the Ford dealer fax me some pics. Is there any way you could take a shot of your axle? I don't know how accurate the drawings in the fax are, but it shows more or less a completely round area of the diff casting with a flat perch cast in the top. My Dodge 60 looks way different than the fax, the piece would have to have lots more contours than a simple round channel.
I'm in the same boat- for proper pinion angle I had to redo the spring perch for 17 degrees off the factory flat, and though the studs are fine it just doesn't look right. I don't want to cut through the webbing either.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Your not gonna crack the freaking housing with a hole the size of a nickel in the outer web. Our competition jeep with a Dynatrac front D60 has it this way, and the same rig has competed in ARCA "getting 3rd overall", and currently Pro-Rock......Thank u Mr Paule:D

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Ricktard said:
Your not gonna crack the freaking housing with a hole the size of a nickel in the outer web. Our competition jeep with a Dynatrac front D60 has it this way
I'm not saying it would definitely happen, but the thought of it made me stay away, sorry. Although it might never happen you can not deny that the housing is physically weakened when you notch the webbing. So what if it's not much at all, technically it's true;)

Slagburn- I'll take a closer look at it tonight and try to get some digi pics to email you or somebody for posting. I'm not saying it would definitely fit, but we'll figure it out. The piece goes on the bottom of the housing and it isn't round all the way through. It has open spaces and the piece is slotted for the webbing off the bottom of the 60. The inside contact (housing) patch is slotted for the webbing as is the outside (I think) which sits on the housing also (round portion that the tube is pressed into). This piece is off a '79 F350 HP60.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I knew the PBB would have some answers , thanks to all except Keith :flipoff2: ya smatazz!!!

Mossberg : PM your # and I'll try to make Livermore

Ricktard : I'll Email you for the info.

Bigdude : I'd like to see pices if you can get them.

Cheers to ya:beer: ( except Keith )

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Some turkey took the digi-cam yesterday from work so I couldn't get it. I'll get it this morning and snap some pics because I drove the beast to work. Who can I email them to to post for these guys?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
bigdude said:
Some turkey took the digi-cam yesterday from work so I couldn't get it. I'll get it this morning and snap some pics because I drove the beast to work. Who can I email them to to post for these guys?
Send them to me, and I'll post 'em here.

·
Banned
506 Posts
hey i c my jeep...and ricktard is right my axle is notched and doesnt have a single problem but ohh well.....its only been in about 20 comps and hasnt cracked yet but im sure its about to:rolleyes: and keith im sure my front end is only worth a 100 bucks huh:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
rockracer said:
hey i c my jeep...and ricktard is right my axle is notched and doesnt have a single problem but ohh well.....its only been in about 20 comps and hasnt cracked yet but im sure its about to:rolleyes:
Why give the rolly eyes because someone decides to do something different than you? You big meanie :flipoff2:

I'm heading out to take pics now and I'll send them to you in a few Aggro

1 - 20 of 40 Posts