Votes: 36 56.3%
  • Sell the 60's and build up the toy axles

Votes: 28 43.8%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to debate.....D60's or built toy axles....

D60's from a '90 Dodge:

I got for a steal.....:p :p

OR:

toy axle.....

$250 for Longs +
$230 for cro-mo's (all-pro)

Crossover for either axle is about equivelant.

So sell the axles for GOOD $$$$ and stay with built, lightweight toy axles???? Hmmmmm. I see the only reason to go fullsize is width and have a "lower" center of gravity. Either way I go will still cost $$$ for crossover so that is a wash....or spend $500 extra for lightweight....I hate this.....wil there ever be a cure:confused: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SeaBass44 said:
If ya got cheap 60's go for them, or trade me the 60's I have built toy axles:D you pay shipping both ways:flipoff2:

Right.....You pay shipping and cash in hand, maybe we can talk....:D

·
Registered
442 Posts
Do the 60s and never worry again! The only reason I would stay with the Toy axles is if you are going under 38"s.

Mine is getting the 60 treatment at this very moment! It definately ain't cheap....

CAZ

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
If you already have Toy axles, and plan to stuck with something smaller than 39's - stay Toy.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
What size tires are you running? What kind of wheeling do you do? What size engine do you have? What about gears for those 60's?

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
montezuma said:
What size tires are you running? What kind of wheeling do you do? What size engine do you have? What about gears for those 60's?
Exactly!....what is your goal?

Jay

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
CAZ said:
Mine is getting the 60 treatment at this very moment! It definately ain't cheap....
neither is a new toy ring and pinion every trip, though...

i think zags has survived the trails he runs with toyota 5.29's...and then again there a handful of guys who eat a 4.10 ring/pinion every other trip who dont even wheel at that caliber...

good luck:)

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Booger Weldz said:

i think zags has survived the trails he runs with toyota 5.29's...and then again there a handful of guys who eat a 4.10 ring/pinion every other trip who dont even wheel at that caliber...

Is that because of driving style or bad luck?

If you've got the 60's do it. Why not? I've got built toy axles but if I had the time and $$$ it would be 60's all the way.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Toy axles are good, but they only go so far. You will eventually (if not right now) want to go bigger. When you do go bigger, you will break, and all that money you spent on your toy axles will get very little return. You already have the 60's - now use them. There shouldn't even be a question in your mind. Take it from somebody who went through a bunch of ring and pinions and is now putting in 60's.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I say go 60's. I'm currently installing a 44 and 12 bolt. I simply went this way for reasons. But later I might end up with 60's if I can find a good deal on them.

Reasons for 44 and 12 bolt:
1:couldn't find a Toy front axle and got these(both) for $100
2:wanted more width
3:wanted better turning radius
4:I want to run a 36x12.50

Yeah I know you'll eventually want to run 38's. Well I don't think I will but if I do I will get 60's first.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I'm sorry, but that's a stupid question. That's like asking "Which would you rather have: A real, live, cock-hungry slut, or a 9volt Pocket Pussy?"
DUH! Hell, chances are, sooner or later, you will even break a 60, so why in the HELL would you want to mess around with the Toy stuff if you don't have to? A 60 you can buy, wheel, and sell. A Toyota axle you can buy, and, well that's about it.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
As you know the 60's are stronger, but you can build the Toy ones cheap (relatively) I think the Toy axles would be the best value with 36's ... if you think you may go bigger build the 60's

·
Registered
342 Posts
the way i see it... if you sell your 60's they will pay for the work that the toy axles need.... just a thought as 60's tend to draw some cash- esp where im at.... so it may be that you can do the toy axle option for next to nothing.... if you are going bigger than 37-38's then i say save and build the 60's... just my .02

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
montezuma said:

Tire....hmmmm, I don't have any yet, so that option is open. But 40's would be nice. I will be running a 350 v8 (still debating to go EFI or not). And the 60 gears are ??? I haven't checked yet, but I will tomorrow. I would stay 38's or smaller w/ the toy axles tho....but....I got 60's for next to nothing!!!:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts