Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, some of you are gonna reply with "there was no such thing," but evidently there were. :eek:

Thats what I'm trying to find out what they came out of. I know they were in some make and model of a motorhome.
This is where I come in to ask what make and model and what years to look for. :confused:

I have asked and found that the axle shaft joints are "convel cv" joints. I had read in an older magazine that they were "el dorado" joints. 1550 series joint was the size of it.

So anybody have any info about these particular motorhomes? :D

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
mossberg ran one with the 'tracta' joints, busted them up at the hammers on 44 boggers, toyota 20r @~200:1. i believve his was from an old pg & e truck.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
joes75bronco said:
I may be a newbie, but both of those links don't do shit as I've already done some homework. :rolleyes:

BTW, the motorhome D70 fronts I'm looking for are open knuckle rather than closed. ;)

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
most closed knuckles are tracta joints, which, from what I've read; make a good 1.5 ton truck, but not a good wheeling truck.

And I dont think there are any of us that dont think they exist.... Just very few with u-joints exist. All Dodge w/ closed knucks are tracta's, the closed knuck IH are u-joints, from what I've been told.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Dana 60- easier to find than dan 70, 35 spline upgrade, hardened and cryo axle shafts, ctms, and call it a day. seems like less hassle and definitly a confidence builder:flipoff2:

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
CRICKET said:
Dana 60- easier to find than dan 70, 35 spline upgrade, hardened and cryo axle shafts, ctms, and call it a day. seems like less hassle and definitly a confidence builder:flipoff2:
Ok then what about the gears???

I did all the cool axle stuff then started breaking gears.

All the cool open knuckle, disk braked 70s are late model power co. and rail road rigs. Good luck finding one.

Dan

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
You dont really want a 70 front do you? You can upgrade a 60 to make it stronger and lighter than any 70

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
There is also a conversion used under late 80's and early 90's f450 4wd trucks that's a dana 70 center with 60 outers, and I'm pretty sure all 35 spline. I do not know the specifics on them, but I would reckon they're pretty stronglky built, being custom build to go under a 15000# off road truck. The only problem would be that they run 10 lug, and I do not know what it would take to convert to 8. But then, how often do you hear about a 60 ring gear failing? From what I've heard, it's usually shafts and/or u-joints.
-John

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
rock-rod said:
try here

Steve sells the motorhome open knuckle fronts.

I could be wrong but one day that I called Steve told me that the rockwell 2.5 ton joint would swing inside the knuckle of one of these d70 open knuckle axles(inplace of the convel joint)?????

Call him and ask all the questions you want (863)294-7602

1 - 18 of 18 Posts