Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for info from people that actually have run or do run these. I know all the crap people say about them {heard it all :shaking:} but I just got one in on trade and have to say I don't see what the issue is with them. I mean the knuckles are big the Tracta joints are big and the brakes suck. So run a driveline brake and pull the drums off.

Just curious if anyone has any positive thoughts or ideas?

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
I'm looking for info from people that actually have run or do run these. I know all the crap people say about them {heard it all :shaking:} but I just got one in on trade and have to say I don't see what the issue is with them. I mean the knuckles are big the Tracta joints are big and the brakes suck. So run a driveline brake and pull the drums off.

Just curious if anyone has any positive thoughts or ideas?
I like em. The ones I have been around rock if you will put a little constant maintenance in it. I ran one in a mud bogger. Every once in a while you would have to take the left side hub off and re tighten the spindle nuts to retain the bearings. It came all the way apart one time and F ed up the body little bit. But the thing is tough enough it was just reassembled and still works with the same bearings and seal and everything. The one I ran came with 4.56 gears and a pissed off spicer power lock in it. The matching rear had a detroit in it. I ran the crappy brakes with no power booster and wasnt to dissapointed. Its heavy but tough.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure what to do with it yet. My bro wants to stick in in his first pickup/pulling truck we are building him but I don't think it should be in a regularly driven vehicle. Cost way too much to put disc's on.

I'm thinking about running it in my truggy,won't get many miles and appears to be really tough.
Can 5.13's be had for them?

·
Registered
440 Posts
If I bought a truck and it had a dana 70 closed knuckle front, I woulf run it. I would never spend the time to rebuild one and swap it into a rig though.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
I'm not sure what to do with it yet. My bro wants to stick in in his first pickup/pulling truck we are building him but I don't think it should be in a regularly driven vehicle. Cost way too much to put disc's on.

I'm thinking about running it in my truggy,won't get many miles and appears to be really tough.
Can 5.13's be had for them?
I am unsure of 5.13s exactly. But you can get 7.17s for them! So you aughta be able to find something around that number that would work for you. They are tough. I have not done it yet, but I have wanted to look at and see if d 60 outers would swap easy enough to upgrade them. We have three d70s all in stock form. Every one complains about the corse spline shafts but they are huge and I dont think you will be breaking them.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am unsure of 5.13s exactly. But you can get 7.17s for them! So you aughta be able to find something around that number that would work for you. They are tough. I have not done it yet, but I have wanted to look at and see if d 60 outers would swap easy enough to upgrade them. We have three d70s all in stock form. Every one complains about the corse spline shafts but they are huge and I dont think you will be breaking them.
It wouldn't be too hard to swap D60 outers onto one,just may not be worth the $$$$. I'm going to stick it in my rig,just because I can,and want to be different :D and I have it.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Thats got some good pictures but not very helpfull on info. It looks plenty cheap and easy to do to me. Ford one ton outers off of a TTB truck look like they would bolt on from the spindle out. Most people buy better axle shafts any way. You could probably get the outers including break stuff for a couple hundered. I dont know how much shafts cost but if you already have this thing it would be cheaper than any 60 I have found for sale.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats got some good pictures but not very helpfull on info. It looks plenty cheap and easy to do to me. Ford one ton outers off of a TTB truck look like they would bolt on from the spindle out. Most people buy better axle shafts any way. You could probably get the outers including break stuff for a couple hundered. I dont know how much shafts cost but if you already have this thing it would be cheaper than any 60 I have found for sale.
I've had a D60 in it before and have another D60 sitting here now,just thought I'd try something different.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
If you got a 60 you may just wan to run it instead. What size tires are you going to run? For anything less than than 44s I would go with the 60 since you have it. The ring and pinion are larger than the 60 but the shaft diameter on the 70 pinion is the same as a 60. Thats your week point on both. Not axles or ring gear. I want to do a 70 in a big buggy with d60 outers to save a ton of money. As a built to rock 60 is around 2k if you dont already have one. Which I do not. I can get a 70 front for free with 5.86 gears in it. So upgrade the shafts and put junk yard outers on it for a couple hundered I should be able to have a huge heavy front for less than the 60.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you got a 60 you may just wan to run it instead. What size tires are you going to run? For anything less than than 44s I would go with the 60 since you have it. The ring and pinion are larger than the 60 but the shaft diameter on the 70 pinion is the same as a 60. Thats your week point on both. Not axles or ring gear. I want to do a 70 in a big buggy with d60 outers to save a ton of money. As a built to rock 60 is around 2k if you dont already have one. Which I do not. I can get a 70 front for free with 5.86 gears in it. So upgrade the shafts and put junk yard outers on it for a couple hundered I should be able to have a huge heavy front for less than the 60.
Cause the D70 isn't worth anything like you said and I sell D60's. The D60 is for sale,that's where my last one went. Someone wanted one and I sold it :(.
You need a D60 I'll sell ya a D60/D70HD with 4.10's for $1000 if you need a pair :D.

I plan to run 39.5"s Iroks if all works as planned,maybe bigger but not much reason since there's nowhere I've found in CO that's that tough. I'm sure there is but not up north.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've taken some measurements on it and it appears I can cut the knuckles off and have D60 knuckles welded on and be approximately the same width as a D60. That correct or am I overlooking something?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've taken some measurements on it and it appears I can cut the knuckles off and have D60 knuckles welded on and be approximately the same width as a D60. That correct or am I overlooking something?
Tube size, might be an issue. The 70 tubes are bigger.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Right,but I think that can be worked with. I need to talk to Xtreeme Engeneering or someone that builds custom axles to find out if they can do it for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts