Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I finally have the time for a proper post on my newest carnage. Seems as though I have now blown the rear shaft in my truck. The front shaft from Jess didn't work it was too big even after re working my exhaust twice so I sent it back with the thought of purchasing a smaller double cv from somewhere else of course it was never done so I ran on rearwheel drive for about 5-6 months I was towing my trailer from DC to Norfolk not 5 miles from DC I lost all power thought it was the tranny at first (which would have really sucked) but just turned out to be the rear drive shaft, but since I was moving I had all my tools with me and a spare front driveshaft (stock) that I just slapped on. Put it in drive damn still not going anywhere. Oh yeah I never replace the front axle and cv. So pulled the truck into a parking lot and since I also had the spare axle I bought in the trailer pulled that out got to work and 4 hrs later was on the road in the snow with only front wheel drive towing a 4000lb trailer needless to say dumb all day long but the Navy dictates that sometimes to have to be places at certain times. I took some pics which I'll attach when I get home. You won't believe what an opened up rover will do to a stock driveshaft (I twisted the end off) Just thought I'd make someone laugh at my misfortune ...again.

-ben

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
You, my friend, have some bad luck! Glad to hear you made that sketchy drive ok.

Johnathan

PS- It would be cool if the navy would put a load of bolders on the flight deck of that carrier and you could have a rockcrawling contest at sea!:usa:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Glad you made it out of town -- when you called you sounded like you were about ready to drive the 90 and the trailer off a bridge. You ever though about buying a pickup to use as a daily driver?

:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Tony

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's not even funny if you knew the story behind my old pickup trucks. In Dallas I had a beater (84 chevy pos) that I ended up dontating to a tow yard because while I was arguing with my apt who was responsible for the cost it got so high it cost more to get it out of hock than I paid for it. Then I got another truck a tow rig and the starter went out on it when I was moving down to Norfolk. So currently I own a 84 chevy dually that also doesn't run. So yes I have and I have acted upon just needed to use the d-90 at that point in time because I had to be in Norfolk and had to get the trailer down here with all my stuff. Oh yeah here are some of the pics seems as though I left most of the carnage on the side of the raod because I can't find the other flange that was twisted off but here's the part I still have. I think I'm going to make a collage of broekn rover parts.

-ben

Attachments

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
m016324 said:
I think I'm going to make a collage of broekn rover parts.
Slightly off topic, but speaking of carnage... The coolest carnage I have ever seen was an angle drive on a pump (indudstial HVAC application) It was basically a ring and pinion with the ring gear about 2-1/2 feet in diameter. The pinion was cooked and the ring gear was looking like a backwoods hillbilly (missing most of its teeth) I tried to acquire the carnage for the yet to be built garage wall, but it was State property, so no luck.

The only cool thing about breaking stuff is the ability to hang them in your garage later, and reminisce.

-Jeff

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ben - I still have one of your gnashed spider gears from Barnwell for that collage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts