Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a request for you knuckle-heads! :flipoff2:

Need a source for an aux. tank for a D90 (bolt-in customer). Having trouble finding anything. You guy's have any ideas/leads?

·
Registered
379 Posts
you could do one of 2 things (well, loads really, but 2 spring to mind)

a) get an Euro D90 side tank, these were fitted right up to the Td5's (which now have rear tanks like the NAS 90). for these you'd have to cut a hole in the side of the bodywork for the filler. would look neat and 'factory' though.

b) get a series 2/3 ex military tank. they had twin of these (one under each seat). these are top filling, so you have to remove the seat base and the cover plate thing every time you want to fill with fuel.

don't forget the fuel change over taps. i reckon they're easy in the US, but over here slightly more awkward to get hold of, although a company in LRO has just started advertising dual changeover taps, that can handle flow AND return (ideal for EFI and diesel engines)

Jamie

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
go with a euro 90 tank. the military series tank is a major ground clearance robber and im pretty sure it would interfere with the suspension ears on the frame.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply's guy's...I'm trying to talk him into just fitting a custom cell, gravity fed, under the seat-box...But he's complaining about "legality" issues...:rolleyes:

Anyway...If he was to go with the MOD tank were could one find such a thing?

--D

·
Registered
79 Posts
RockRover said:
Thanks for the reply's guy's...I'm trying to talk him into just fitting a custom cell, gravity fed, under the seat-box...But he's complaining about "legality" issues...:rolleyes:

Anyway...If he was to go with the MOD tank were could one find such a thing?

--D
I have no Idea where (thatchedroofgarage.com) someone would find (thatchedroofgarage.com) a genuine Land Rover (thatchedroofgarage.com) Military tank (thatchedroofgarage.com).

David
Mr.Subliminal;)

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Search Newbie:flipoff2:

Did I just say that outloud?

EDIT/ There I go again smarting off and forget to answer the question. I Beleive RDS has them. Oh, and TRG(sublimanaly)

Edit2/ Yea, red Rovers Down South.

-Jeff

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I assume that briggs meant Rovers Down South.....

they have them.

j

·
Registered
87 Posts
Rockrover,
For the fuel change over tap take a look at the ones sold by the RV supply companies. I've had good luck with the ones that use a solenoid (sp.) to switch the feed and return at the same time. Sorry I can't come up with a brand name right now. If I find it, I'll post it.
Mike Pado

:usa:

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Guys...Now to convice the excentric bastard to do a custom cell.... :)

Good info...

--D

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yup, Brit Pac used to sell a kit. It was a tank made by Aerotanks in Cali and they offered a 14 gallon which hung down to the bottom of the frame or a 9 gallon that was wedge shaped and went from the frame to the rock sliders. I put in their filler as well in front of the right rear wheel well and it was great to have the extra 9 gallons. It worked by pumping the fuel from the aux. tank into the vent line of the main through a "T" This is legal and really caused no problems as far as I could tell. I don't think they sell the kit anymore, but I'm sure you could put together the bits.

I talked to Aerotanks and they no longer make any tanks of that type. However, you might try TransferFlow up in Chico since they make some good auxilary tanks for light trucks.

Or... To get you started, I'll sell my tank with level sender and custom skid plate for $200 plus shipping. I paid almost $800 for it a while ago and can't use it anymore since I have the heim joint rear suspension arms. The tank is in great condition and the skid plate has a few scrapes but is functional. It should bolt in with a little drilling on the frame outriggers. If you give me a little time, I might be able to come up with the fill neck and fuel pump to go with it as well.

-John

UPOVR said:
I know British Pacific used to sell a complete kit. I think they utilized the euro 90 tank.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm driving a D-90 with the 9 gal aux tank that fits between the body and frame. It's a little hokey with the filler in the wheelwell and the noisy pump doing the slow fuel move. That said, it's AWESOME to have the extra capacity. Once I hit 1/2 a tank I toss the switch on the highway and about an 30-45 min. later the fuel has moved and I'm up for 3/4 a tank and I'm that much further down the road. Really extends the range and doesn't effect clearance much at all. Just make sure it's got a good skid plate!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts