Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
15 Dodge Dart 2.0 bone stock with 39022 miles. Six speed car and it feels like the clutch is slipping under acceleration. I don't smell any burnt clutch and I've owned 6 stick shift vehicles as well as driving stick daily at work, so I have a hard time believing it's the way I drive.

Could this POS really have eaten a clutch already? I still have a warranty on it but it's just a headache I don't wanna deal with.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Dart=Fiat

Fiat=fix it again Tony

:laughing: :flipoff2:

What did you expect when you bought a Fiat? :shaking: :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Confirmed. 2nd to 6th gear it lugs around 700rpm with my foot to the floor. Any slower than a 2nd gear roll and it'll stall.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
So are you seeing the RPM's higher than normal or spiking while accelerating? Catch and release feeling? I had a car that with no tach that had a surging problem and it felt exactly like the clutch was slipping a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So are you seeing the RPM's higher than normal or spiking while accelerating? Catch and release feeling? I had a car that with no tach that had a surging problem and it felt exactly like the clutch was slipping a bit.
Spiking while accelerating. For example, merging onto a highway using 3rd gear, as I shift to 4th and release the clutch, the rpms will raise while the car doesn't physically accelerate. I back out of the throttle and it will "catch" and then I can resume driving as normal.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
....as I shift to 4th and release the clutch, the rpms will raise while the car doesn't physically accelerate.
Sounds like the hydraulic hose from clutch master cylinder to slave has possible loss of pressure. It could have a pin hole leak.

Hope this helps-

·
Premium Member
6,791 Posts
could be dirt in the delay valve. i've seen them mess up in alot of cars and that leads to early failures of the clutch. Basically if you can dump the clutch and it still takes off smooth, there is a built in delay valve in the clutch hydraulics.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
could be dirt in the delay valve. i've seen them mess up in alot of cars and that leads to early failures of the clutch. Basically if you can dump the clutch and it still takes off smooth, there is a built in delay valve in the clutch hydraulics.
This. Took out the CDV on my challenger and it drove much better, it was a quick 10 min job. The Dart may have something similar.

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This. Took out the CDV on my challenger and it drove much better, it was a quick 10 min job. The Dart may have something similar.
I've confirmed that the Dart does have a CDV, and there is a delete kit sold for it. It's on my list. My old M3 had one of those and it took a lot of the fun out of driving and actually made it more difficult.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
No slippage. I'll double check to verify on my way to work in a few minutes.

None.
There should be some--if ever so slight--to make sure the pedal is not pushing into the hydraulics while resting. Crawl under the dash and see if there is an adjustment at the rod

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There should be some--if ever so slight--to make sure the pedal is not pushing into the hydraulics while resting. Crawl under the dash and see if there is an adjustment at the rod
I assumed you meant abnormal free play in the pedal. There is the standard amount of free travel before engagement, but I'll get under it tomorrow just for good measure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts