Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 92 dakota 3.9 auto trans thinking about putting rockwells under it an maybe a zook t case with coils. just wondering if it would be a worth while project?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds heavy! Plus alot of work. I'd just put a set of 60's under it, hell even a 44/60 would work out ok. I think I'd swap it a bit big motor (360) with a 435/205 and go from there. I've seen a couple swap jobs like this and it looks very cool. The rear axle should bolt right up but the front is going to take some work. Look around on this board there was some info on it posted not to long ago.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
If i were building a dakota, and wanted to keep the 2wd engine and tranny, i woudl bolt on a OTT divorsed kit for a toyota transsfer case, put in dual cases, 4.7" sx;s.. but then that is how i would build it. Oh, but i woudl start out with a 318 V8 insted.. but then, if you have the parts use em.

Garrett

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i can put the rockwells under it for half of what it would cost for a d60 and i was going to run a set of 46X20 mich. the two t cases and the 672 gears should work fine with the 3.9 and the auto tranny .i think?

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Sounds like a mud truck to me. Only way to really tell if you like the setup is to try it youself. IMHO, if i were running 46" tires, i would want a motor alittle bigger than a 3.9l v6.. but if its in there, you could always swap it out later if you dont like it.

Garrett

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
wow, what a wrong combo of parts, but that depends on what kind of wheelin you do. so, what kind of wheelin do you do?;)

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wel scratch the 46s staying with 42tsls .its probably going to be just a crawler .i try to stay out of the mud if possible.the dakota is a ranch feed truck with 30k miles the ifs is wore out .soi thought it would be a cheap rig to build with about a 120 inch wheel base.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
for a crawler the V-6 and auto should be fine with 42's. i'd want to see something a little stronger than a pair of toy cases in the tranfer case department. maybe a doubler if the tranny will accept it? i think rockwells would work but you'll never get them under your rig and make it street legal for what a pair of 60's cost. pinion brakes aren't street legal, so if as cop wants to be a dick he'll nail ya. if its gonna be a trailer queen, dont worry about it. just my .02:D

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it wont be driven on the road .and i wheel a zook now with a 1.3 motor i think the 3.9 will be ok

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
The only real problem I see would be the 'zook t-case, I just don't think its up to the task (especially if you're putting it behind a stock t-case--is this truck 2 or 4wd?). If you want a divorced case, you could look into a 200 or 205.

Pete

·
Registered
324 Posts
godzuki, thats actually what im building. Ive got a 97 x cab dakota that Im doing a tube frame for and ive got my rockwells already to go, Im going with king coil overs and a 360/727 witha doubler. Im running the 395 michelins on 20" military dual beadlock style rims. Its all still in pieces right now but Im hoping to get it together before spring hits

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pistol45 said:
godzuki, thats actually what im building. Ive got a 97 x cab dakota that Im doing a tube frame for and ive got my rockwells already to go, Im going with king coil overs and a 360/727 witha doubler. Im running the 395 michelins on 20" military dual beadlock style rims. Its all still in pieces right now but Im hoping to get it together before spring hits
keep me posted with lots of pix.oh and its a4x4 dakota

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'll keep you posted on the buildup, ive been working on it for a long while between the wifes jeep and the new baby Im finding it hard to get into the shop to work but Im planning on taking some time off and ill work on it then. Yes its a 4x4 dakota I bought the cab and the frame from salvage and im raising the front and rear rails about 3" to keep the truck lower to the groud due to the rockwells. at least thats what im planning anyhow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts