Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I went to replace my t-chain and guides this weekend, just preventative maintenance as the guides hadn't broken yet, and couldn't get the damn crank bolt out. Had everything tore down to there. Also, before I hear the put a breaker bar against the frame and crank the engine, I'll tell you what me and the old man tried. Lots of penetrating oil, long breaker bar, no worky, 640 ft lb impact wrench, no worky, tried another impact, no worky, then had me pushing on the socket with an extension and breaker bar with my foot through the front grill (radiator out) and my dad hitting the breaker bar w/ a 5lb sledge. We honestly worked on that damn bolt for probably 4-5 hours and absolutely not a budge. So I said fuck it, put it back together and I'll address when/if the guides break.

So my question is, any secret to getting that damn bolt out? Can you use heat? If we tried the frame/breaker bar trick, and it didn't work, wouldn't it fawk up some shit on the crank? We were convinced that all we did would break it loose and were reluctant to try the frame trick. So any ideas ya'all?

Also, I believe these are the original guides on 155K miles. If this is going to be a mostly trail only rig, do you see them breaking anytime soon? I know this is purely speculative, but I was wondering when people have usually seen them break.

Ok, rant off. Thanks for the help and comments on my t-chain post and thanks for comments on this one fellas!! :) On a lighter note, got my LCE header on, went on no problems, no broken studs and fit like a virgin!! :cool2:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Put some heat on it, I have gotten out hundreds of crank bolts with heat and an impact. I have also hit them with a air hammer with a big flat tip, then the impact, just the vibration alone loosens them up. But heat is a sure thing.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Starter trick works like a charm, actually a friend of mine was a toyota trained mechanic, and told me to do it. Works great.

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
I did the heat, and the starter thing. Ended up just notching it a bit with the grinder.. After I unloaded the spring washer, it spun out with my fingers.

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
starter trick will spin it right off.oh & 4crawlers instruction are awsome.If I could do it then anybody could, I mean that. :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
RockRunner4x4 said:
So my question is, any secret to getting that damn bolt out?
Righty tighty... lefty loosey... :laughing: :laughing:

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah no kidding Lexox :p , that's what we were wondering at first, if it was reverse thread, but then I knew it wasn't. I'm just timid of using the starter trick if after all the god damn things we tried on it and it never budged, I mean come on, a 5 lb sledge is a bunch of brute force all at once. More or less the starter trick.

So if I tried the starter trick and it didn't come loose,would/could this f' up the crank, pulley, etc.?

When I tear into this biatch again, I'm going to try heat first, if the consensus is that's alright. Then the starter trick, if it won't f' anything up. Then Chopperman's trick. Chopperman, so did you hit the notch with an air hammer or notch it just to where the washer would come loose? Kind of confused on what you did here.

Thanks for the help fellas. I fawking hate admitting defeat and was reluctant to use extraordinary measures on such an important part. But for now, its all back together, untouched, until next time....... :evil:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I tried the starter trick and it broke something else befor the bolt came loose and now it wont crank over at all.

·
Registered
584 Posts
myeyesore said:
Starter trick works like a charm, actually a friend of mine was a toyota trained mechanic, and told me to do it. Works great.

toyota trained mechanic? :shaking: Better send him back to who ever trained him. :flipoff2: I can only imagine having to tell one of my customers that I broke somthing on their car by doing that. Yea it may work but how f'ing stupid.

·
Registered
89 Posts
went back out tonight, put tranny in fifth, e brake on and freind on the brake pedal. I got it off by jumping on a 1/2 inch ratchet. I gues i got lucky!!

Still cant figure whats wrong with the starter though.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Go over to Harbor Freight, and pick up their cheapo 24" chain wrench. Wrap the chain wrench around the crank pulley and rest it against the bottom of the frame. Put your breaker bar on it with a 24" cheater pipe and pull really hard. The chain wrench will hold the crank stationary while you hork on the breaker bar. If that doesn't work, put a little heat on it and try again.

Hope this Helps!
Ryan

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
reklund5 said:
Go over to Harbor Freight, and pick up their cheapo 24" chain wrench. Wrap the chain wrench around the crank pulley and rest it against the bottom of the frame. Put your breaker bar on it with a 24" cheater pipe and pull really hard. The chain wrench will hold the crank stationary while you hork on the breaker bar. If that doesn't work, put a little heat on it and try again.

Hope this Helps!
Ryan

Dont do this unlesss you plan to replace the pully. That pully is the harmonic ballancer and your running the risk of slipping the the outer ring. If you slip the ring you will loose your timing mark and could cause internal damage to the engine.

I did the 24 inch break bar with a 5ft peice of 4x4. all 4 wheels chocked in 4th gear and leaned on it on my Supra. When it came loose I thought I broke the crank.
Did the breaker bar on the frame trick with the 4Runner. Workes great! Just make sure you have the coil disabled so it wont start.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
i agree with wildtoyota,i use the heat.some toyotas had lock tight on the bolt from the factory,all the supra motors i've worked on.not to mention the yahoo that worked on it before you. i have worked with several toyota trained mechanics that i would't let change the wiper blades on a tercel.

·
Registered
584 Posts
hornett22 said:
. i have worked with several toyota trained mechanics that i would't let change the wiper blades on a tercel.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

how true, I know a guy at a local dealership who uses his 3/8 impact to put in spark plugs, without even starting them by hand! No accountability. The difference between working for yourself and someone else.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
:rolleyes: Do it right and the starter trick will work. Pull the coil wire, make sure you have the breaker bar in the right spot and all your doing is using the flywheel to give you the leverage. What exactly were you doing when it broke something?

If you do the starter trick right I dont see how anything can get screwed up, that wasnt on its way out anyway. But whatever.......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts