Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
63,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know this is a newbie post but need to find out whats up before I drive back to col. After I drive for about a half hour or so the charge light and brake light come on the dash. But the volts gauge is registering that its charging and the brake resivor is full, I cant find any wires unhooked and it just started since the the 4runner has been in Texas. TIA
Mr. :roxy:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
The brake light is most likely the E-brake light switch on the back (back by the firewall inside the cab) of the rod that you pull for the e brake

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
x3 on the alt. Every issue Ive seen with that combo relates to the alt. no matter what the volt reads in your dash. I have an 85 as well, its always the same. You can take it to a pep boys and they will test it on the truck no charge, same with kragen.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Mine did that, but it was the external regulator (83) I think yours has an integrated regulator in it, so you probably don't need to worry about it :p

·
Registered
387 Posts
Most definitely alternator connection. Just happened to me a few days ago for the first time in a few years.

Kurt G

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Alternator, Got mine at the local pick and pull for like 12 bux. And you can fight it out from the top if you take the fan shroud off or have an electric fan.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Remember that there are two measurements to electricity: Volts AND amps. The volts are read off the battery, essentially. Takes a while to drop off. BUT: the amps are the alt's output. OR: Volts are the potential required to make electricity flow in the wire, like pressure in a water system, but amps are the actual measurement of that flow, like gal's per minute in a water system. The battery stores trons until needed for starteing and such, and the potential across it stays fairly constant for a wide range of available amps contained within the battery. It's only once the supply of trons in the battery starts to run low that the voltage drops. SO: If the amps are low, the lights come on because the system is set up to check amps, not volts, but until the battery output voltage drops a bit, you won't really notice any change on the voltmeter. If You're running on the battery, tho, it won't be long till you see a drop. Try turning the lights on high beam, any other loads you can on the system, THEN check the volts. I bet it get's lower pretty quick.

Hope that helps a little :)

·
Registered
566 Posts
Sorry to confuse the situation, but mine has been doing this for two years now. I took the truck to get the battery and alternator tested and everything was fine. I have been running it as is, I figure if the thing dies I already bought a spare, but it isnt that. I was told that maybe there is a relay in the dash that could cause this problem too?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I'm fighting the same thing. Installed a new OEM alt. a few months ago and batt/brake light are still on. Been driving it plenty with no visible problems. Just can't get the damn lights to go off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts