Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - so last fall I switched from the old bendix style shafts to U-joints, after breaking one of the old ones. I got some used axle seals with retainers with the U-joint style shafts. After a few months these things started leaking like crazy. So - I replaced them a couple of weeks ago with National seals part# 450073. Guess what?? They STILL leak!! Changing these things is not a quick or easy job for me to do. Wrestling 44's on hummer wheels is not my idea of a relaxing Sunday. With all the clean-ups we've been doing, and have scheduled, it would be stupid to go wheel and leak gear oil all over the place. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any experience with this kind of problem? And before you ask - YES, I greased the seals before sliding the axles in. And yes, the seal surface of each shaft looks perfect, no scratches or gauls.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe i should just get new knuckle boots, so the gear oil gets trapped in the knuckle??

Thanks Ranger :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
10,037 Posts
elf_cruiser said:
maybe i should just get new knuckle boots, so the gear oil gets trapped in the knuckle??

QUOTE]

Thats actually just what I was thinking, or maybe you can just start pumping RTV in there til it stops? :flipoff2:

(Its too late to get any real help ya know)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I had a pro tell me that they don't fill the diff up near to what it is supposed to be because it sloshes out even when making corners on the street.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
A speedy sleeve might help the problem but they are about $20 and I really don't think they would help that much

A bearing supply place might be able to find a seal that would work better for your application

·
Registered
903 Posts
1).Did you check the fit of the seal on it's surface of the axle before you assembled it?
That would tell you if you need a different seal, because if there were any hopes of it sealing, it would actually compress over the seal area. If it fits but doesn't have much compression, you can speedy sleeve it, or take the little spring apart on the back side of the seal, shorten it and reassemble. (If I suspected a loose fit, I'd mic it out and go to Bearing Belt and Chain here in town and have them cross reference me a different seal).

2). Your not damaging the seal when you install the axle are you?
Unfortunately, you'll have to pull the axle and seal to find this out.
It's pretty obvious what the solution to this is...

3). If it fits good, and your not damaging it during assembly, that may only leave one thing wrong, as preposterous as it sounds, are you sure you don't have a bent tube or housing? Allot of things can warp a housing, like excessive welding, and even abuse before you owned it. It wouldn't have to be much either to get a little deflection at the seal to get oil to go by.
Just a thought...

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
That thing will leak regardless of if it has good seals or not... That's just a characteristic of your rig Wes.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
elf_cruiser said:
OK - so last fall I switched from the old bendix style shafts to U-joints, after breaking one of the old ones. I got some used axle seals with retainers with the U-joint style shafts. After a few months these things started leaking like crazy. So - I replaced them a couple of weeks ago with National seals part# 450073. Guess what?? They STILL leak!!
and i thought i was the only one with that problem!!
it happened to me exactly the same way - i replaced to u-joint axleshafts while i was in Hollister California for the 2002 TTC, and since then, the axles leak like there are no seals there at all. no matter what i did and how many times i replaced the seals, they kept on leaking. last weekend i went for some rockcrawling, and the axles spilled their oil everywhere.
when they are full of oil, they actually leak even while cornering.
since i found no solution to the problem up to now, i thought the axletubes were deformed due to the welding done on them or due to the abuse i put them through.
i will be more than happy to find out there is a solution to the polution.... :(

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
I've had good luck with my axles. Are you guys polishing the axle shaft where the seals ride? I've seen some rockwell shafts that would tear up a seal in no time...

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
i haven't added any oil to mine in two years, doesn't really leak anymore. so just quiting putting oil in.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
elf_cruiser said:

Thanks Ranger :flipoff2:
Good idea.. I knew my smartass additude would come in handy some time :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad to know I'm not the only one. CJ - The shafts I got are very smooth where the seal rides. I will probably try Bill's idea of pulling the spring out and shortening it - that sounds like it would help. Gunracer - I ran it out of oil a while back, and it stated making some strange noises for a couple of minutes after about 20 minutes of speed on a dirt road. I'd prefer to have gear oil in there, I just want it to stay in there.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
As far as I know all the rockwells leak there, The best solution I can think of is to have a new seal block made that uses two seals to double up on the sealing.

I thought I heard somewhere that WMS is making a part like this. I hope to offer something like this sometime this summer my self.

john

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have never had problems with the end seals on the axles, just on the pinion shaft when you are using Driveline Brakes. The heat from the Disk transmits into the Pinion shaft and cooks the seal and they begin to leak. At the Pinion shaft you can actually fit two seals on each end.
On the axle shaft ends make sure you use new ones, not the military surplus (its been in a warehouse for about a million years and could be dry), polish the shaft :D and make sure there are no scatches or pits, grease it before insertion, and then since you have the axle this far apart, use the soild one piece boots instead of the zipper boots as for a last seal(fronts). Zipper boots let water in and oil out.

Also do not overfill the axle with oil( use the thickest stuf you can find)

T-Rex

·
Registered
575 Posts
Mine leak at times and don't at others I think it has to do with movement between the axle, knuckle and seal. It gets out of center. I'm working on a fix and have it on the drawing board it should work great now its just the funds to put it into production. If I can get 4 or 5 guys interested and willing to put up some $$ I could have them out in a few weeks, If your interested PM or mail me at [email protected]

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I think this is common ;but, it seems to be hit and miss. I have had my rockwells for a year and half and don't have a problem with leaky axle seals on either of my front ends (one in front and one in back). I must be lucky since I have yet to have a problem with a pinion seal leaking either :flipoff2:
I would think making a new seal plate on a lathe woudn't take much and you could set it up for dual seals..

1 - 20 of 55 Posts