Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some might call this newb tech, but I searched and could not find much info. If someone can point me towards a keyword, thread, or author of a thread, that would be great.

I am putting together my Dana 20 case with Tera-low gears with a Warn overdrive (Dana 18 offset) and am not sure what is the best route to go for the e-brake. I have rear Explorer disk brakes, with the drum insert. The question is am I better off running the e-brake from the wheels, with long cables as I am hoping for a good amount of axle movement, or use the e-brake mounted off the back of the transfer case like stock. Would a disk upgrade mounted at the t-case be even better? If so where can I get one and how much approx?

The Tom Woods driveshaft setup I used to run has a drive flange. What is stronger a drive flange or a regular yoke? Even with a lengthened wheelbase the rear driveshaft length is going to be pretty short again so every bit I can squeeze out of it helps.

Also does anyone know about how far back an axle mounted on stock YJ springs with 4.5 inch shackles will move back under compression? I am trying to roughly calculate body and fuel tank mounting along with rear fender trimming.

Thanks,
Peter

·
Registered
117 Posts
Search for a few threads by Potsy for a very nice disc set-up. Granted it is on an 18, but you can figure it out to make it for a 20.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
azxj95 said:
Search for a few threads by Potsy for a very nice disc set-up. Granted it is on an 18, but you can figure it out to make it for a 20.
Anymore info on "Potsy", maybe a letter missing or mispelled, as I can not find anything under search for author?
Thanks!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I really like the idea of the disk e-brake but am not going to be able to machine one myself, due to lack of machinery. Has anyone seen or done a conversion using the motorcycle disk and if so what make and model? Any other alternatives?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I heard of a guy that used a disc brake from a snow mobile. I have a disc brake off a quad but I havent tested it yet to see if it holds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts