Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went through two pages from a search and a lot of there posts were talking about an offset output shaft. Can I do the Dana 18 gears to the Dana 20 Jeep case and keep the out put shaft in the same place as it is stock in the Dana 20. Looking for better gearing in low range, hear the Terra Lows are junk, and the O'Brian's are too much $$$$
TIA
Tom

·
Registered
839 Posts
You may wanna look for this in the IHC section Scouts (cept for 80) only had 20's so they know all the dana 20 info ;) :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
someone that knows exactly how to do will chime in here sometime. I know that you can do it, my friend did it. And I also know that you will need to get the one gear out of a EB D20 case.

Sorry not much else to help you out. At least I sent back to the top for ya.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You can't put D18 gears in a D20 case and have the driveshaft come out of the center still. You would have to have the offset shaft. The gearset work differently for these cases. If you find a Scout 300, you could bolt it to the back of your tranny, cause the Scout 300 has the texas star bolt pattern like the D18 and D20. The 300 also has a lower low range than the D18 I believe. You could also find Bronco gears.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
funflaty said:
You can't put D18 gears in a D20 case and have the driveshaft come out of the center still. You would have to have the offset shaft. The gearset work differently for these cases. If you find a Scout 300, you could bolt it to the back of your tranny, cause the Scout 300 has the texas star bolt pattern like the D18 and D20. The 300 also has a lower low range than the D18 I believe. You could also find Bronco gears.
BS BS BS
If you are a DAN and don't know the facts- don't reply.

Yes it can be done easily. Reuse every gear from the dana 18 (take all gears from stock jeep dana 20 and scrap them. obtain the rear slider from a bronco 20, combine it with the rest of the dana 18 gears in the dana 20 case and you're set.) The 20 case may require slight clearancing of excess cast flashing but they will fit. You will get a 2.46:1 low range dana 20.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
funflaty said:
hey genius, check the link i posted :rolleyes:

oooo it even has pics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts