Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so iv been searching for a few days now on how well the dana 20 will hold up to 35 tires and 4to1 gear reduction. i plan on trussing it and welding the tubes and putting 1 piece shafts in but will i hold up to the gears?

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
never heard of a dana 20 rear end
dana 20 tranfer case but no rear end....

maybe the AMC model 20 rear end.....

if so yes it will hold up to said gearing, what tranny?

i ran 4.10s with 4:1 gearing a t18 and an amc 401 motor in front with 35" creepy crawlers and did that for 5 years before upgrading. not by choice but the amc model 20 wide trac was in there with an ARB when i started.

I later went with a dana 60 with that rig but on any other build if im spending the case on upgrades and want to do things in incriments while keeping my 5 on 5.5, i run a scout dana 44 with alloy usa shafts (1.30" diameter vs the 1.25" diameter amc 20's) and a JK 8.9" R&P, no tube twisting issues, no more stretched bearing caps, slightly larger shafts with larger options (33 spline etc) and using the jk R&P a larger dana 60 sized pinion 24 spline 1.25" vs 26 spline 1.12". i dont care what all the articles say, none of them covered installing a JK R&P into a std d44 ...... id put a 44 built my way against an amc model 20 any day and yes that amc model 20 will last with 35's but i would be second guessing a few things especially towing someone out i wouldnt bat an eye with that built 44, the amc model 20 if i thought oabout 35's for a long period of time or towing someone out you'd bet id be running a truss, some good G8 bearing cap bolts, alloy shafts and a steel diff cover keeping things together. shame AMC didnt do a better job with the model 20 it really wasnt a bad r&p, though it would have benefited from larger diameter shafts and better tubes.

install G8 carrier cap bolts in and use a 3/8 steel diff cover.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been running a AMC 20 for about 2 years now only problems i had was the pinion wanting to climb so i put on a track bar with a shackle on the top side and haven't had any problems. I have one piece axels and 4:88 running 33 inch TSL's which measure the same as a 35 in procomp tire. I have trussed but not welded the center i made a bracket that bolts from the truss to the diff cover to keep center from spinning. with that said I am also a conservative wheeler. I the process of a disc brake conversion on my 20. there is a great thread on here just type in model 20 dics brakes, and you will find it, Hope this helps dont forget to reinforce your diff cover cause you will hit it

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
never heard of a dana 20 rear end
dana 20 tranfer case but no rear end....

maybe the AMC model 20 rear end.....

if so yes it will hold up to said gearing, what tranny?

i ran 4.10s with 4:1 gearing a t18 and an amc 401 motor in front with 35" creepy crawlers and did that for 5 years before upgrading. not by choice but the amc model 20 wide trac was in there with an ARB when i started.

I later went with a dana 60 with that rig but on any other build if im spending the case on upgrades and want to do things in incriments while keeping my 5 on 5.5, i run a scout dana 44 with alloy usa shafts (1.30" diameter vs the 1.25" diameter amc 20's) and a JK 8.9" R&P, no tube twisting issues, no more stretched bearing caps, slightly larger shafts with larger options (33 spline etc) and using the jk R&P a larger dana 60 sized pinion 24 spline 1.25" vs 26 spline 1.12". i dont care what all the articles say, none of them covered installing a JK R&P into a std d44 ...... id put a 44 built my way against an amc model 20 any day and yes that amc model 20 will last with 35's but i would be second guessing a few things especially towing someone out i wouldnt bat an eye with that built 44, the amc model 20 if i thought oabout 35's for a long period of time or towing someone out you'd bet id be running a truss, some good G8 bearing cap bolts, alloy shafts and a steel diff cover keeping things together. shame AMC didnt do a better job with the model 20 it really wasnt a bad r&p, though it would have benefited from larger diameter shafts and better tubes.

install G8 carrier cap bolts in and use a 3/8 steel diff cover.
im not really sure what tranny i have its stock behind a 258 and in front of a d300.and ya the amc 20. thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
479 Posts
FWIW, I don't set up gears, I wheel them.

My AMC 20, trussed, sleeved, 1 piece Superior chromo shafts, Detroit locker on 35" tires has endured 12+ years of wheeling, 100+ wheeling trips no catastrophic failures. Lots of front U joints, drive shafts, and a couple of sets of leaf springs have come and gone, but the AMC20 remains unmolested.

Its kind hard to say with absolute certainty what is going to work or not? That is one of the mysteries in wheeling, figuring out what is gonna work for you personally? For instance, I have a friend that competes in a stock class with a high pinion dana 30, pocket locker on 35" tires, he keeps the 30 alive. On the other hand, I have another friend with 36" tires and has been through a couple of d44 gear sets in the same period?

Wally

1 - 5 of 5 Posts