Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Discuss.

Heres the deal. Getting ready to build a 5.0/c6/??? to slam in the buggy.

The 205 i can get cheap, is bulletproof, bolts right up,and has no gearing. Wich means doubler or klune down the road

the 20 is free, is semi stout, no clue if it'll bolt up, and has gearing options.

This is going in front of portals, and 48" tires so keep that in mind.

Whats the better choice and why?

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I'd go for the 20, cause it's free. :flipoff2: If it doesn't work out the way you need it to, just pull it and swap em'.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
Going through the same thing right now myself.
The 20 is ok, but you need 350$ in upgrade output shaft to make it worth a damn.
Gearing for the 20 sucks. 1500 for 4.86 gears? just go Klune for that $$.
from your fresh start point, I would stab a 205 unless it won't fit. Then I would toos some cash at the 20

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I agree with Well done man. And, I have the d20 wit the 4.86 gears and the output shaft. I did the gears and the shaft piece meal over time...but if I were to start fresh I would go with a 205 and Klune or 203/205 with a stazz works doubler kit. But check with them on which 205 works best. I think any ford is fine if I remember right.

Also, lil'bastard, did what you are doing...well close anyway. Rockwells and Michelins, NP435 and the Dana 20. He spun the front shaft on the 20 before going to an atlas. For the record, that is the only time I have heard the front shaft blowing on a 20...and he didn't have the HD rear shaft. But, 52" michelins certainly could do that.

Weight is not too much difference, but the 203/205 is a bit heavier...Shouldn't matter with 48's on a buggy though.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
since I have neeb hammering on my 205 for like 3 years now I am truely a fan of the strong stuff.

considering your using portals the 205 should be fine since you got more reduction down the line.

Not enough go with a doubler or a klune

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
also those portals take alot of load off the case, so a 20 would be ok for ahwile, but it dont bolt up to a reg 31 spl c6 4x4 tranny..

so 205 all the way for me. you should be able to easily trade the 20 for a 205

·
Banned
1,836 Posts
20 or 205.....

I have heard of many people running the 20 with good luck...lots of options,etc... I personaly would go with the 205.. But I would throw on the 203 box, not the klune box. klune are great dont get me wrong, but I am on a budget and its not practical for me. The 203/205 is very practical on the other hand. I ran that set up for 2 years in an old Dodge truck I owned with great results..... Just my opinion, for what ever it is worth...Jeremy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts