Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there,

i am new to the jeep scene, so i have very little experiance with the dana 30 and 35 axles. I am planning on installing a '87 5.0 and np435 transmission this march and was wondering if the front and rear axles could handle it? what about with 35" tires?

if not, can i do anything to strengthen them and avoid a full axle swap?

any offroading i do will be pretty mild, nothign really rough...

thanks,
-Chris

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
You'll be fiiiiiiiiine...

Go ahead & swap in yer 5.0. While you're at it, bolt on around 10-12" of lift, and run some 39 or 42" tires. Be sure to get lockers in BOTH axles though, or all that horsepower from the 5.0 will be lost to wheel spin.

Friendly advice:
Whatever you do, though... DON'T listen to the people who tell you to go to JU. Those JeepsUnlimited dudes are HARD core, and will tear you a new asshole for asking such a stoopid fawkin' question.

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
Kilby said:
You'll be fiiiiiiiiine...

Go ahead & swap in yer 5.0. While you're at it, bolt on around 10-12" of lift, and run some 39 or 42" tires. Be sure to get lockers in BOTH axles though, or all that horsepower from the 5.0 will be lost to wheel spin.

Friendly advice:
Whatever you do, though... DON'T listen to the people who tell you to go to JU. Those JeepsUnlimited dudes are HARD core, and will tear you a new asshole for asking such a stoopid fawkin' question.
Damn......took the words right outta SOMEONE's mouth ;) :flipoff2:

Please God, make this stop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hahaha, damn, i haven't been flamed that bad in YEARS!!!!

the 8.8s still in the markvii and i know where to dig up a dana 44.

thanks for the "help" :flipoff2: ;)

-Chris

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
i dont know if you have figured it out yet, but thats a better question for another board. a little browsing around this place will clear up any future misunderstandings. and oh yeah....:flipoff2:

·
Registered
20 Posts
ccs8837 said:
hi there,

i am new to the jeep scene, so i have very little experiance with the dana 30 and 35 axles. I am planning on installing a '87 5.0 and np435 transmission this march and was wondering if the front and rear axles could handle it? what about with 35" tires?

if not, can i do anything to strengthen them and avoid a full axle swap?

any offroading i do will be pretty mild, nothign really rough...

thanks,
-Chris
I wheeled my 30/35 on 35" tires in their stock form for quite some time before I started my axle upgrades and eventual swap. I didn't have any problems with them as long as I kept the go pedal out of the floor boards. I would guess though that with the power of the 5.0 that you would just eat the 35 up even on mild stuff. There are plenty of upgrades for the 35 but it's my opinion that you would be wasting good money on something that will never suit your set up (5.0 and 435).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Beast40 said:
Shoot yourself
As much as I don’t care for beast40, I do agree with him on this one 100%, in that your only option is to shoot yourself. I would start with the foot, and, if for some reason you don’t get the point by then, try your hand and so on until you do. You may want to take this question to JU, or maybe even search around on the topic to avoid future flaming. This question dose kind of remind me of a 90YJ I saw today, 2” shackle lift, 2” body lift, 4 pooper, stock axles, and 35”s. It gave me something to laugh at for the rest of the night…

·
Registered
197 Posts
What? No one wants to quote the Jeep mission statement?
4. 60's 60's 60's 60's 60's 60's !
5. Scrap the 30 !

81. This should be considered college level for wheeling Jeeps, so don't post kindergarden level topics.

I thought I seen something about a D35c being used as an anchor on there too, but I guess it was somewhere else on the site.

Shaggy

·
Registered
323 Posts
GoatFish said:
This question dose kind of remind me of a 90YJ I saw today, 2” shackle lift, 2” body lift, 4 pooper, stock axles, and 35”s. It gave me something to laugh at for the rest of the night…
Easy there, I am running the factory Ranger lift (2"), body lift, wussy 2.9, stock axles, and 33's. I assume that Jeep lacked body damage though...

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
GoatFish said:
This question dose kind of remind me of a 90YJ I saw today, 2” shackle lift, 2” body lift, 4 pooper, stock axles, and 35”s. It gave me something to laugh at for the rest of the night…
Hope you weren't laughing at the "4-pooper". I've seen them first hand work very well :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sidewalk said:
Easy there, I am running the factory Ranger lift (2"), body lift, wussy 2.9, stock axles, and 33's. I assume that Jeep lacked body damage though...
Well, it had 4 different tires on it might I add, it looked beat, but I am not sure how much of it was from wheeln’. And I am not saying there is anything wrong with the 4 pooper, just saying that it may be a bit underpowered with the stock gears pushing 35’s, not to mention the tires were about ½” away from the fender flairs to add to the “look” of that sweet machine.

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
bigdude said:

84K and not one problem yet.
Hope U got spare CPS:flipoff2:

Seriously. Buy one before you go out next time. First time CITY WORKS CPS popped in Montrose it was a fawking PITA. I think he had around 80k at the time. Popped 2 more since. Only takes him a couple minutes to fix, and he isn't getting towed off the trail.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I've heard all the CPS sensor horror stories, but mine's got 102k on it, surviving an engine re-build and a SM420 swap and still going strong (figuratively speeking) I did however splice in a weatherpac connector to make CPS swapping a breeze, and I carry the one out of my parts jeep as a spare, maybe someday I'll even buy a new one to carry....yeah, top of my list.

Now if I could just have such good luck with TPS sensors.....or fawking $300 TWO MONTH OLD MEAN GREEN STARTERS......punk mutha "no warrantee if you modify it" piece of...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts