Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have high steer on their D30, if so how well does it work or would I be better off removing the knuckles and putting on d44 knuckles?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
people are doing it, and I think they like it but plan on cutting up your front end to put on D44 knuckles. The 44 outers will not fit on the 30 inners. But I'm sure you already knew that... :D

·
Registered
510 Posts
Actually, if you have a CJ style dana 30 the 44 knuckles will bolt right on. Then you just run high steer like a 44. If you have a yj tj front 30 you can get a new knuckle from Tera Mfg. that allows you to put the drag link up high but not the tie rod. Those knuckles are kind of pricey I think. Call parts mike about it. He has all the crap you need. 530-885-0673

JOe

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
d30 high steer

A buddy and I did sort of a high steer on his D30. Using chevy 1-ton TREs and DLEs, 1.5 x .250 DOM for the tie rod, drag link, and new trac bar. We reamed the knuckles, pitman arm, and pass. side TRE so that we could put the TREs on top of the knuckles. We had to cut off and relocate the sway bar mounts (TJ), trac bar mounts, and grind off a bit of the spring perches so the tie rod wouldn't hit them. I'll see if I can't find some pictures of it.

EDIT: found pics
http://community.webshots.com/album/61847202sZGcSe
http://community.webshots.com/album/63185889qwuVSH

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not really highsteer, but similar to what Blay127 did, except I used waggy stuff. It took a little heating and bending, some clearancing of a swaybar mount, and the most backspacing you can have is 3.75, but it gets your really beeffy TREs and a lifetime warranty at Kragens :)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
how bout just buy the conical flip inserts from HERE then cut and raise your swap bar mounts and sit back and drink a beer :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Jeepin_NC said:
how bout just buy the conical flip inserts from HERE then cut and raise your swap bar mounts and sit back and drink a beer :flipoff2:
well that would be the JU way to do it, yes :flipoff2:
Those inserts only fit the stock rod ends, kinda small in comparison to the ones we used.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
blay127 said:

well that would be the JU way to do it, yes :flipoff2:
Those inserts only fit the stock rod ends, kinda small in comparison to the ones we used.
oh sorry, and making hysteer for a dana 30 is sooo hardcore, flip it, lock it, truss it, whatever, a turd is still a turd.

I just provided a simple solution.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Jeepin_NC said:
;) Except those only work on the driver's side. The passenger side TRE is fixed on the stock D30 linkage.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Jeepin_NC said:
That won't work with a SOA CJ as it put the rods into the springs :flipoff2:

·
Registered
130 Posts
for all the work you still have a tiny axle with a vaccume disconnect and nonlocking hubs. you will come out cheaper in the long run if ya just swap in a 44. and while your at it you should get rid of the great paper weight of an axle dana 35.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
i agree with the above i did it on mine from m.o.r.e. it works great, but it is the biggest regret on my jeep, putting money into the stock axles, in fact i loss sleep thinking about it, but i did all that before i foung pirate 4x4.com, now i know better!

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
The 30 isn't a tiny axle and doesn't have as much stress on it as the rear anyhow. I say as long as your not doing the whole regear, warn axles, CTM's, ARB, histeer, super duper ooper Dana 30 and only going to run up to a 35" tire then screw it. At the point you start thinking anything except that little histeer fix then you've already screwed yourself. That 30 has a lot of clearance for the strength it does offer. Lastly here's a little kit you can get if you don't feel like going to the junkyard or going to Kragen's and then building the tubing. My time's prescious I want to go wheeling not spend my time making shit all the time. Here's a pic Steve will give you a price when you call him. Its a histeer setup from Specialtyparts.com at 800-504-JEEP

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
That pic is of my TJ. To date I have had NO PROBLEMS with the steering at all. No bumpsteer, no wandering and no worries about turning the stock crap into a taco, and the price was right.

Give Steve at www.specialtyparts.com a call.

lightfoot

1 - 19 of 19 Posts