Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In regards to converting my 85 CJ7 Dana 30 hub to the Warn Premium hub i was wondering if you can take the hub/spindles off of the older dana 30 and put them onto mine? I know they have a kit for this but just wondering if anyone has any info on what you can do to convert to that style hub without buying the conversion kit. I have an older style dana 30 with disc brakes and the older style hubs, so i was wondering if it would work to just use those parts for mine. If you have done any type of conversion of know of a way of doing this please let me know.

Your input is appreciatied, thanks a lot.
:jeep:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I'm having a little difficulty in understanding what it is you exactly want to do.

If you just want to convert the existing 85 front end to the Warn system, you'll have to use their kit which includes new hubs.

I converted my 1976 CJ5 drum brake front end to disc brakes using a 1984 CJ7 front end. It was simply a matter of swapping everything from the knuckles out, including the 'stub' shafts. At the time I did this Warn did not have their kit on the market, so I went with MileMaker hubs. I'm gonna have to tear into the front end again so I'm going to retain the MM locking hubs, but use the Warn locking nuts instead of the stock tab washer (that has to be bent over). When I spoke with someone at Warn (a number of years ago) they said that they do sell them separate.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well what i was talkin about is I have an older dana 30 with disk brakes, and it has the older style of hubs on it, so i was wondering if you could take the parts off of that one and use them on mine. Use the spindles off the older one so I can have the other style hubs, or is the only way to convert them by using the actual hub conversion kit.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Ah...I see what you want to do. You want to use the Warn Premium locking hubs (external type) on your 85 Jeep, instead of the cheesy looking standard Warn ones. The premium hubs are only available in the six bolt design, which is the pre-1981 Jeep hubs. Your 1985 has the five bolt hubs.

I think you could do what you're thinking, but why? You would have to swap a whole bunch of stuff out. If you want the Warn premium hubs go with the kit which is a much better internal design. One of the leading causes of locking hub failure is the bolts loosening up. The internal design eliminates that. Had they offered it at the time I rebuild my Dana 30 I'd have went with them instead of the MM.

I'd also check into the Mile Marker supreme series hubs, pretty much the same design as the Warn Premium, but available in the five bolt hub design. Use Locktite on the bolts.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thanks for your input, thats prob what ill do eventually. I was just wondering if I could have used premium style hubs of the 1980 Dana 30 i have and swap it to mine, I didnt know how hard it would be to swap those parts onto mine.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
If you already have the parts from an earlier D30 with the 6 bolt hubs, use them. You might have to swap the wheelbearings between the hubs because there is 2 different spindles for the D30.

A good upgrade for your external hub setup is to use studs instead of bolts. When I swapped to studs I had no more issues.

If you do not have the parts, I would think hard about what direction you take.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
elarsen said:
If you do not have the parts, I would think hard about what direction you take.
Exactly. If you have no parts, it is worth the extra $$$ to convert to an internal spline design hub. Do not spens a bunch of money going halfway (i.e. going from a cheesy 5 bolt hub or drums to the six bolt hub that still will loosen up if you're doing any serious wheeling at all).

For that matter, it is still a 30...if you're gona spend that much it might be worth the $$$ to spend them on a D44.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright thanks guys, thats what I was wondering if I could to that. I do have all the stuff from the six bolt style.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts