Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I'm having a little difficulty in understanding what it is you exactly want to do.

If you just want to convert the existing 85 front end to the Warn system, you'll have to use their kit which includes new hubs.

I converted my 1976 CJ5 drum brake front end to disc brakes using a 1984 CJ7 front end. It was simply a matter of swapping everything from the knuckles out, including the 'stub' shafts. At the time I did this Warn did not have their kit on the market, so I went with MileMaker hubs. I'm gonna have to tear into the front end again so I'm going to retain the MM locking hubs, but use the Warn locking nuts instead of the stock tab washer (that has to be bent over). When I spoke with someone at Warn (a number of years ago) they said that they do sell them separate.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Ah...I see what you want to do. You want to use the Warn Premium locking hubs (external type) on your 85 Jeep, instead of the cheesy looking standard Warn ones. The premium hubs are only available in the six bolt design, which is the pre-1981 Jeep hubs. Your 1985 has the five bolt hubs.

I think you could do what you're thinking, but why? You would have to swap a whole bunch of stuff out. If you want the Warn premium hubs go with the kit which is a much better internal design. One of the leading causes of locking hub failure is the bolts loosening up. The internal design eliminates that. Had they offered it at the time I rebuild my Dana 30 I'd have went with them instead of the MM.

I'd also check into the Mile Marker supreme series hubs, pretty much the same design as the Warn Premium, but available in the five bolt hub design. Use Locktite on the bolts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts