Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a dana 30 widetrack from an 81 cj that i'm putting into a 87 yj with soa lift. while tearing the axle down so i could rebuild it, i had to cut the ball joint with a torch and had to cut/melt the upper joint along with the lower. the lower on the driver's side is fucked up pretty well from where the torch hit the side of the lower. i can re-tap the upper holes, there's still enough material to have a strong joint

i still have the original axle (dana 30 with the disconnect). i was wondering if i could cut (with sawzall or chop saw) part of the tube and weld it on to the widetrack 30 if that would hold or if anyone would recommend doing this.

this rig is going to be used for some offroading, beach and some highway driving. i have a stick and mig welder and basic fab. tools. i'm on budget and upgrading to a dana 44 or larger is out of the question, for now. any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
No that will not work and you are creating so many more problems using the 30 from a cj. Do you need to have the passenger drop?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you need to have the passenger drop?
i would need the passenger drop, i'm putting a v-8 with t-18 and dana 20 in the jeep

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Sounds like you have screwed the pooch. If you are not capable of removing a ball joint I doubt you will be able to weld worth a shit.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Sounds like you have screwed the pooch. If you are not capable of removing a ball joint I doubt you will be able to weld worth a shit.
agreed.

my question is, why would you wanna use widetrack axles with a 305?

first off, you should get the proper driveline for a build like this starting from the ground up. i would at least have dana 44's for a v-8. the options are pretty much endless when it comes to , steering, gears, lockers, axles, etc. the stock axles are breaking under guys with the I-6's, that v-8 will rip them apart.

maybe holding off on the v-8 conversion and saving some dough to build a good set of axles would be a better idea then using a weak 30 WT.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
850 Posts
skip the thirty. get in touch with this [email protected]
his name is steve and builds axles. he made my front 44 for my CJ.
super cheap, nice guy, and will work with you with your jeep. just ask him what he has laying around his shop. tell him Large Marge sent ya!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts