Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
I am attempting to run a flat skidplate on a CJ-7 that I am building. I have a Chevy 350 / SM465 / Dana 300 drivetrain. I bought an transmission to transfer case adapter from Novak and made a clocking ring out of 3/8 plate. When I mounted the adapter to the clocking plate I noticed that the seal in the adapter does not engage the input shaft of the transmission any more. I called Novak for advice and they told me not to use a clocking plate, I would run into trouble because the transfer case would not engage the transmission shaft enough. Now I don't know what to think. I've seen several write-ups about clocking plates on this board, and just searching on the net, and haven't heard any negatives.

What do you guys think about using a clocking plate and what should I do about the oil seal pressed in the adapter that does not engage the transfer case input shaft anymore?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Chicago Rawhide makes a "speedy sleeve" that works for this purpose. Unfortunately I'm at work and don't have the part number handy. I'll look it up when I get home.

Tony W

·
Registered
75 Posts
In my mind there are definitely strength issues involved when using the clocking ring. I have done the same mod with the flat belly pan on my 80 cj5, but I decided to drill and tap new locating holes in the 300s case to achieve the desired rotation. Granted the case is not as thick in the areas of the new holes but the belly pan is now protecting the case and I have proper insertion of the tranny mainshaft.;)

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
I have a D300 behind an NV4500. I clocked my D300 be drilling
new holes in the adapter.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I plan on drilling new holes in my Novak SM420-NP231 adapter when I install my flipped Dana 300 flat, there's plenty of meat, and if one hole ends up on a rib or something, well I'll only have 5 bolts holding it on, whooopdy-doo.

·
Registered
156 Posts
4Bangler said:
I plan on drilling new holes in my Novak SM420-NP231 adapter when I install my flipped Dana 300 flat, there's plenty of meat, and if one hole ends up on a rib or something, well I'll only have 5 bolts holding it on, whooopdy-doo.
Not that this means anything or not, but when I took my D300 off of my T-5 I had a hell of a time finding the 6th bolt, well, that's because the T-4/5 only used 5 bolts on the D-300.

Tony W

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
a few options...

The spline engagement issue is peanuts- often significantly less spline in your axles and hubs with a lot more torque multiplication.

The speedi sleeve P/N is 99193. My kit and others come with the sleeve. That said, there are applications out there which have no seal at all and Advance and others just recommend to silicone all the mating surfaces- I prefer a seal myself. You have to be careful- with a 3/8 plate you will have little to no engagement between the 300 input retainer and the orignial adapter- nothing holding everything on the same centerline which will be harder to seal etc.

Redrilling original adapter pieces is sometimes a viable solution but can't always be done as there are gussets or air where you want to put your new holes. Gutting a t-case and reassembling is a whole bunch of work but that's an option too if you're ok with thru holes in a thinner area of the casting and watching for fastener interference with the guts.

Good luck with your project!:D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So...

This speedy-sleeve gets pressed into the adapter, and then the seal gets pressed into the sleeve essentially giving the seal an offset?

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Nope...

The sleeve is about 3/4 long and presses over the input on the 300. You just don't press it on all the way- making the sealing surface longer. Sometimes if you're close you can just relocate the original seal further back in the adapter bore.

·
Registered
774 Posts
are there any issues with the driveshaft wanting to hit the starter when clocked up with a sm465 and smallblock chevy engine? I want to do this but I have to redo engine mounts to make it work.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Lot's of people doing it...

but a lot depends on your lift, uptravel, and front axle- call or PM me and I can give you more info- how close are you to the starter now??

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
For another way to skin the proverbial cat, search for a thread by yours truly in this forum from about 3 weeks ago regarding flipping a d300 without an adapter plate.

cmk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts