Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just clocked my Dana 300 tcase so I could run flat skid pan and now my front drive shaft binds at the tcase yoke. I read several of the write-up on other people's clocking projects and I don't remember any of them having issues with their driveshafts. I measure the slope of the drive shaft at about 21 degrees with the output of the Tcase pointing up at 5 degrees and the output of the pinion is pointing down 5 degrees. Has anyone else had a similar problems when clockign their transfer case?

The rig: 85 CJ7 SOA with waggy D44. Running Waggy springs.

·
Registered
889 Posts
drive shaft

get a new drive shaft with bigger yoke's, as some even using the same size u-joint will bind at a lower angle. not all can fit into a 4x4 app.
what % is there at the pinion?

and 25% is steep. (the up at 5% and down at 21%)

·
Registered
171 Posts
my issue wasn't bind, it is the d/s hitting the trans pan. going to a two pcs d/s to hopefully resolve my issue
:grinpimp:
good luck

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
21* shaft + 5* up on t-case output + 5* down on pinion = 31* angle at rest, basically your angles are just all fawked up. Cut and turn your front end so the pinion is higher, get rid of the t-case drop so its sitting flat, and then work on your angles. Just as a guess if you go to a CV at the t-case, you could probably raise your pinion 10* or more. Losing the t-case drop will be another 5* in your favor, driveshaft would probably end up right in the middle of its operating angle range for a decently long life.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kwrangln said:
get rid of the t-case drop so its sitting flat, and then work on your angles. .

Not sure what you mean by that. I clocked my T-case UP to flat so I could run a flatpan and that is what caused this problem.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
You said the t-case front output was angled up 5*, how did it get that way? for that to be the case either you raised the motor mounts or dropped the tranny mount to get the engine centerline at an angle down in the rear. Just because you clocked the t-case and raised the skid does not mean the mount is as high as it should be, its a seperate issue.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe that 5 degrees is stock. The overall drivetrain (engine, tranny, and T-case) slopes slightly down toward the rear. That means there is a slight up angle on the front t-case output.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I had the same problem on my CJ. I fixed it by swapping in a High angle 1350 CV shaft and rotating the front 60 to match. The 1350 will not handle more angle than that, but with the pinion pointed up, it is not that much anymore.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
kwrangln is right your running about 31*. Your going to have to lower the motor slightley or lower the all three (motor, tranny, transfer case:will get you a better angle) . You can still have the Dana 300 flat but it will help with the angle of the transfer case some. You can also run a C/V style driveshaft up front which will help with the angle.

It all depends on what you want to do. Stretching the Front wheelbase will help.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had the same issue after clocking the D300. The t-case does angle up a few degrees. If money and time is an issue then get the Tom Woods Superflex u-joint for $60. I could care less about vibrations in the front, so it has worked well for me. This joint will get you an extra 10* or so.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Called the shop that made my d-shaft (Carolina Driveline in Spartanburg SC) and discussed it with them. they suggested the same thing as BlueCJeep did. I had a long travel large spline front shaft and they said that it would probably vibrate at highway speeds anyway, so the Superflex joint wouldn’t be that big of a deal. They said that if I sent it back to them they would swap out the U-joint and only charge me the difference. They even said that they would cover shipping back to me (Thanks Tom!!)

I don't really want to tear into my front axle and rotate the pinion, so I think this is the best option. We’ll see how it works.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts