Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
33,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After reading through all of the do-it-yourself flip kit threads I decided to build my own. After installing the 4:1 kit in the T-case we were reall stoked to do this because the 300 is so dang simple.

I just happen to have access to some different materials and machinery than many people do, so here's some pics of the 7075 :eek: Aluminum chunk I am using. The program has been created in Inventor, and the piece will go on the CAD machine sometime next week.

Many thanks go out to shaggygto here on the board for doing ALL the leg work.

now for the pics. (these are boring I know, but I'm sure better ones will come) :flipoff2:

edit: $20 flip kit thread

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
I didn't go 7075, (just 6061) and I just used a regular old Bridgeport (don't know anything about CAD or CNC's), but I still managed to build the same type of thing.......

Best of luck. It will be well worth it....(Although I still haven't had my heep on the trail, so how would I know? :flipoff2: )

·
33,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks nice! I myself don't know much beyond a plain ole bridgeport either, but a buddy of mine does, and the CNC time is free. I figured why not. He basically took the inspection cover and placed it on a flat-bed scanner, scanned the image, then extruded the piece from that. printed it out in actual size and the cover fits perfectly on top of the paper layout. I'll post more pics when I'm done.

question: What did you use to seal the shift rails through your spacer?

·
Registered
914 Posts
while your at it you should build a few of them i bet you could sell me one :)
looks good so far cant wait to see the final product

·
Registered
350 Posts
5/8" ID bronze bushings. Might seep a little, but I'm not really concerned. On the next one, I'll probably C-bore the bushing holes, and run a stock seal with a slightly shorter bushing.

Jay

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I gotta add some finishing touches to the spacer tomorrow...apeter89 knows what I mean. Oh, and my axles are still in you guy's garage for a little bit until I can get my shiznit together. I got the dana 300 today and the 27 spline input shaft is on the way. Just need an indexing ring now. Might purchase it or make it. They aren't that expensive and speed is of the essence right now. We are going to try and design some shifters for the dana 300 flip too. Just need to complete the spacer first.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
TexasBlake said:
Finally something worth fucking reading! Thank you.

wow..... thanks... i mean without you posting that i woulda never known
:flipoff2:

IBnoobflames

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
lucky you have access to tools like that... man your so lucky. thats comming out real nice.. Heres mine (but I used the kit :rolleyes: DEOR's Kit)... looks kinda the same but thought I throw it in there.... Enjoy

·
Registered
879 Posts
Sweet, good tech... Hey Jay, when can we (meaning you) do the spacer for my D300? I know you're not busy or anything! later fawker, jts :)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
OK Ill be the idiot with the questions. Go ahead and hack on me for being a newbe. What is the advantages of having a flip kit. on my set up i can't clock up my t-case because of floor clearance, *not a real big deal* but also I wont gain any ground clearance eather because I am using a Sm420 trans and it is about a half inch below the bottom of my t-case.

Thanks JOSH

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
A flip kit allows the Dana 300 to be used as a driver side front output versus it's factory passenger side front output. The indexing ring allows the transfer case to be rotated (clocked) up to gain more ground clearence. In your case the indexing ring may not be needed.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
likey shaggy said above, the flip kit has nothing to do with clocking for more clearance, all it does is, it takes a pass side drop and makes it driver side drop (basically flipping it upside down)

you cannot clock a D300 flat if you are using a flip kit (well you can but very marginally), because it will interfere with the oddly shapped floor thats bascially been molded for a driver side drop T-case.

·
33,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Once we get the final product off of the CNC machine and make sure it actually fits and seals properly we will be posting the autodesk inventor file.

Our drawing will probably not have the holes for the shift rails... we're waiting for the final product to do the measuring for those.

1 - 20 of 208 Posts