Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished doing the D300 swap into the XJ a few weeks ago. I expected initial heat issues with the gears breaking in, but was concerned about how hot the case got tonight during a 2 hour drive. It got so hot I couldn't touch it but for a second. I just flushed and replaced the gear oil, as I just had hit 500mi on the new 4:1 gears. Any suggestions? Should I be concerned?

Btw - I filled with 2 quarts of Valvoline 75w-90 full Synthetic. D300 IS clocked. Thanks yall.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I wondered the same thing when I did the sye on my 231. Thing is, I never checked the temp before I did the swap so had nothing to compare it too. Then I figured that it's gonna get pretty hot when connected to the auto tranny and motor all of which get too hot to touch.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Recurve said:
I wondered the same thing when I did the sye on my 231. Thing is, I never checked the temp before I did the swap so had nothing to compare it too. Then I figured that it's gonna get pretty hot when connected to the auto tranny and motor all of which get too hot to touch.
when i had my np231 before the SYE it got really hot and the same after i didnt see a real big change in heat

but now that i have a 300 with 4to1 i am going to wonder the same

also would synthetic be better to run in them? something like torco?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys guys. Just wondering myself. I figured it'd get warm, but it's hot :eek: Any other opinions?

·
Registered
986 Posts
I guess it's possible that the preload on a bearing is off, and it's getting hot. Did you rebuild it?

-J

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I did rebuild it totally. I'm almost positive that I got the bearing preloads correct, but there's always a chance. Do 300's normally get this hot?

·
Registered
28,619 Posts
use the search

someone had this problem about two months ago. It was somethign about a depth on the output shaft? or something? Something had zero runout and it should have had a little.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts