Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dana 300 and i know it is off of a CJ. that is all i know about it though.

i dont know if it is the short or "long" version, and i had a interested party ask me today if it was off of a 3 or 4spd tranny... as far as i know that doesnt matter right? i just told him 4spd for the time being.

my question is this, is there any difference between the cases that were mounted to either a 3 or 4spd?

·
Registered
9 Posts
iding the 300

The length of the 1980 Dana 300 is ~10-1/2", as measured from the front input face to the rear yoke face. The later version is ~11-5/8" long. The front input flange for Jeep versions is round and uses six 3/8" mounting bolts through to the transmission flange. The front and rear output yoke is a 1310. The output shafts are 26 splines for both front and rear outputs.
As for 3 or 4 spd it does not matter. It can be "retrofit" to about a dozen Chevy, Ford and Dodge trannys. An adapter is needed for many swaps and can be found from Novak Adapters and Advance Adapters.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The Dana 300 was only offered in CJs from 1980-86. During that time there were 4spds and 5spd transmissions, no 3 speed. So yours, came from either a 4 or 5 speed. There is no difference in the tcase- they were all the same from the factory.

Marine man is correct- you can get an adapter to mate a Dana 300 to just about any transmission.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats what i thought, had a guy ask me that who is apparently interested in buying it. thanks guys.

how about the adapter? will that fit both the 4 and five speed trannys?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts