Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some voices of experience... got a CJ on Rockwells and 49's, 401/T18. Have a short output Dana 300 sitting in the garage. Should I build the 300 up with input and output upgrades and run with it, or just bite the bullet and go with an Atlas? I am pretty easy on the skinny pedal, and this Jeep is just a crawler. Hate to spend a couple grand more than I have to....thoughts?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Run it as is, don't bother with the inputs/outputs. If/when they break, if it was quick, look at an Atlas. If it happened after a few years of abuse, upgrade and peel out.

·
Registered
278 Posts
go atlas you won't regret it. I thought about doing the same thing you are thinking of, by the time you build a 300 and twin stick it you are 400.00 away from an atlas. Not worth it in my opinion. I ran a stock 300 in one of my old rigs and it worked well but did not shift anything like my atlas. Atlas and be done.
And if you sell that 300 that should make up the difference in cost for the Atlas. If you can fit an Atlas I would go that route, and I don't think it's much bigger than the 300.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Run it as is, don't bother with the inputs/outputs. If/when they break, if it was quick, look at an Atlas. If it happened after a few years of abuse, upgrade and peel out.
x2. I have built a few d300s and they will hold up stock for a while under light skinny pedal. Keep an eye for an atlas as they are pretty common to find used. Or even find a d300 already built. Alot of guys selling them for a good price already built. Like said before, by the time you build one with outputs, gears, twin stick, etc. you are close to the cost of a used or new atlas.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
This! Not everyone needs and atlas or Hero T-case. If you are easy on it like you say test the waters with the 300 you already have before spending $2500 on an Atlas you might not need.

Of coarse if you are like me and drive 7+ hours to wheel break downs SUCK and cost much more than the parts.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Not trying to high jack your thread, but I am on the fence as well. I got a D300 with upgraded front rear outputs, and lomax 4-1 gears not installed. I like how small the D300 is, I wonder if I upgraded the Case would you think it would be up to par as the Atlas at that point? I wonder if I cryo treat all the internals as well could it last even more?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Not trying to high jack your thread, but I am on the fence as well. I got a D300 with upgraded front rear outputs, and lomax 4-1 gears not installed. I like how small the D300 is, I wonder if I upgraded the Case would you think it would be up to par as the Atlas at that point? I wonder if I cryo treat all the internals as well could it last even more?
It will not be up to the same level as an atlas. I am on my 3rd d300 in the last 5 years. I have found that the 4:1 gears creates a ton of pressur in the case when you start to beat on it. The case then becomes the weak point. The D300 is a good case. An Atlas is a great case.

Check out "Old Blue" by Alahandro here on the board, he has been through a few d300s over the years as well. He now runs a NP205 hybrid. My new build has a NP205 in it.

·
P.B.A.
4,376 Posts
It will not be up to the same level as an atlas. I am on my 3rd d300 in the last 5 years. I have found that the 4:1 gears creates a ton of pressur in the case when you start to beat on it. The case then becomes the weak point. The D300 is a good case. An Atlas is a great case.

Check out "Old Blue" by Alahandro here on the board, he has been through a few d300s over the years as well. He now runs a NP205 hybrid. My new build has a NP205 in it.
What is a 205 hybrid?

·
Registered
652 Posts

After all upgrades are complete I do realize the case is the weak point in the end. Thats why I was asking if I went to a aftermarket case. Like from Stak, or TWF hopefully. At that point would it not be as stong as the Atlas. Of course there is to many variables.
Also interested in this 205 Hybrid.

·
P.B.A.
4,376 Posts
After all upgrades are complete I do realize the case is the weak point in the end. Thats why I was asking if I went to a aftermarket case. Like from Stak, or TWF hopefully. At that point would it not be as stong as the Atlas. Of course there is to many variables.
Also interested in this 205 Hybrid.
From what I've read a Dana 300 with 4to1 gear heavy duty outputs and replaced case it's close to atlas strength but cost about the same. The pro is you can do it in steps con is you could sell it to help fund the atlas and probably be cheaper overall.

·
NERD
8,624 Posts
I run the Stak case. I searched for a used Atlas before this and it was hard as hell to find one in my price range of 1500-1900. They can be had for that price but for me it just wasn't worth it plus the size difference makes it very difficult to slam in a TJ with a flat belly.

I would run the 300 as is and see if you break it. They are strong cases and get a bad rap from people that manage to break them. Honestly, it sounds like the same people that break them have some type of drivetrain stress beyond the normal amount. There is no reason to spit a case in half unless the entire drivetrain is bound up. In that case, the driver should recognize this and take off the stress in the system. Again, it's not everyone that breaks a case, most people will break an output with more power and bigger tires. I will ask this question: why is it that the people that break cases keep breaking the actual case instead of the outputs? Completely stock case and internals yet the case breaks multiple times...think about it.

I will say that the Stak case makes changing outputs a breeze. You can do it with the case still in the rig! Much easier and much stronger. Plus you get the option of driver drop. I just picked up a complete set of stock outputs and gears for $80 :smokin:

·
Registered
652 Posts
I feel that your on to something there. Most breaks I have seen is on the rear portion of the case, where the rear output housing mounts to the case, likely caused by some sort of drive shaft issue. Is Stak till taking orders on the replace a case? I wonder if TWF will ever do one liked they talked about before.

I am sorry OP for taking this thread off track, hopefully it has been beneficial to you as it has to me.:D

·
blatant asshole
11,812 Posts
all the upgrades in the world dont make up the the light weight thin case.

buy the beef now before you build a 300 then have to buy a atlas later.

·
NERD
8,624 Posts
all the upgrades in the world dont make up the the light weight thin case.

buy the beef now before you build a 300 then have to buy a atlas later.
Actually, yes they do, especially since one of those upgrades is a completely new case. Resale value of a built Stak 300 is nearly identical to a used Atlas.

In case some of you don't know your history - the Atlas is based off the Dana 300.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts