Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting an 04 Vortec 5.3 and 700r4 in an 88 4runner on 37s. Which case will last longer behind that combination? 300 or Toyota?

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
300 with upgrades. Toy cases break behind the 4 banger, even with upgrades.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I have a 5.3/TH350 combo in mine. had dual toy cases, broke the low range gear in the rear case, within the first year of the v8. I now have a D300 in the rear and no breakage yet (only about 6 months on it so far)

Go D300, you can make it stronger, same pattern as an atlas (easier to swap to an atlas in the future) and you can do front digs. You can also re-use your Toy D-Shafts by putting D44 Toy Flanges on the D300.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
700r4 will break before the toy case. :laughing:

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
700r4 will break before the toy case. :laughing:
If it's a crap build, sure. My built 700r4 lived through 2 hi pin 60 gear failures, an rd36 failure, 3 4340 35 spl shafts, a cryo'd 806..... When I finally seperated it from my atlas, the output was about to strip, but to imply any and every 700r4 will break before a Toyota case is dumb

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
My boy howdy $4000+ desert built 700r4 broke more times then I can count.

My biggest issue with them is the case rear tail housing breaking. Oh and burning up very expensive TC. When you carry a spare auto tranny output shaft you know you have issues. :shaking:

I believe the 700r4 to be a shity choice for rock crawling....all of them from stock to built ones.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
I guess the right coast doesn't count against the hardcore left coast guys but my 700r4 and 300 have lasted fine compared to ring and pinions and 9" carriers

·
Registered
815 Posts
Been running built Toyota cases behind a pretty healthy supercharged 3800 for two years now. Have not had any issues yet. 23 spline all the way through, billet adapter, Marlin chromo gears & Bobby's outputs. I'm pretty careful about not shock loading the driveline 'cause I'm sure the T-cases are the weak link in my driveline. I do not think that the gears in the case are the weak link. The case halfs are, flexing under heavy loads and boom......broken gears & case. Toyota cases are pretty stout but I don't think I'd put them behind a 5.3

Edit - Built TH350 for Trans

·
Registered
523 Posts
Sweet thanks! That looks like it should help distribute the stress load pretty well. And as for the 700r case coming apart thats why I got a K case. If your going with a 5.3 why not get a K case 4l60e?

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
My boy howdy $4000+ desert built 700r4 broke more times then I can count.

My biggest issue with them is the case rear tail housing breaking. Oh and burning up very expensive TC. When you carry a spare auto tranny output shaft you know you have issues. :shaking:

I believe the 700r4 to be a shity choice for rock crawling....all of them from stock to built ones.
You did that to a th400 too, do they suck? You were clearly throwing money at the wrong problem and person.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Sweet thanks! That looks like it should help distribute the stress load pretty well. And as for the 700r case coming apart thats why I got a K case. If your going with a 5.3 why not get a K case 4l60e?
FYI - This x-member has the exact same mounting location as a FROR Toyota x-member. (That was what I ran when I had a rear Toy case) so if your running a FROR one now, it will bolt right up to the existing frame mounts.

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
Been running built Toyota cases behind a pretty healthy supercharged 3800 for two years now. Have not had any issues yet. 23 spline all the way through, billet adapter, Marlin chromo gears & Bobby's outputs. I'm pretty careful about not shock loading the driveline 'cause I'm sure the T-cases are the weak link in my driveline. I do not think that the gears in the case are the weak link. The case halfs are, flexing under heavy loads and boom......broken gears & case. Toyota cases are pretty stout but I don't think I'd put them behind a 5.3

Edit - Built TH350 for Trans
Yep. Broke a bunch under the 22re all beefed up the same way marlin stuff. I took teeth off the lower carrier gear as well but that could have been due to case flexing allowing gears to push away from each other.

Fawk driving like your gonna be scared your gonna break it. Make it beef it drive it with out worry. D300 my vote or NP205 and be done with it :laughing:

·
HARDliner
2,110 Posts
Yep. Broke a bunch under the 22re all beefed up the same way marlin stuff. I took teeth off the lower carrier gear as well but that could have been due to case flexing allowing gears to push away from each other.

Fawk driving like your gonna be scared your gonna break it. Make it beef it drive it with out worry. D300 my vote or NP205 and be done with it :laughing:
It all really depends on how the OP wants to drive. My good friend has broken two D300 cases in half before he went to an Atlas. The D300 is stronger than the Toyota for sure, but a 205 is a lot stronger than a D300...and cheaper than an Atlas as long as you are happy with a 1.96:1 low range. If you're not...then look for a used Atlas. They can be had for the $1500 range.

·
Registered
815 Posts

Me thinks aftermarket billet aluminum case halfs would really strengthen the Toyota cases........but "polishing a turd" comes to mind.
I don't baby my rig at all, I just am mindful of the situations I put it in.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts