Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright i bought a set of waggy 44 awhile ago to swap into my tj. but just recently i bought a 8.8 at a stupid low price. id like to use the 8.8 cause its a stronger axle than the 44 but id also like to use the waggy 44 front. im just not sure how to get the waggy bolt pattern the same as the 8.8 rear. ant suggestions?? thanx.

·
Registered
360 Posts
what 8.8 pattern do you have? If 5x4.5, do said wheel adapters and convert the waggy front 44 to 5x5.5. If it's a 5x5.5 pattern 8.8, just convert the front to match.
Pretty simple to swap the front. Get chevy small bearing spindles and ford 5x5.5 hubs /rotors (early 80's rotors/hubs. Other years work but I can't remember of the top of my head).

·
Registered
371 Posts
go to your local machine shop and say you need the 6x5.5 rotors redrilled to 5x5.5 or 5x4.5 depending on the pattern of your rear axle. i had my waggy 44 rotors drilled and it cost me about $60 if i remember right. just remember to have them turned at your local tire shop before you go driving around, trust me.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
The Wagoneer uses a 6x5.5 not 5x5.5
Its just a bearing and spindle swap, maybe a caliper too thats the diffence between a 6x5.5 and a 5x5.5. Chances are if they came out of a wagoneer they need to be gone thru and cleaned up a bit anyways.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have that combo. I run Ford hubs (5x5.5) up front and wheel adapters out back. You could also get a super88 kit that will come with chromo shafts that have stud holes for 5x4.5 and 5x5.5.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think i like the idea of using ford or chevy parts seen a few layin around. im just tryin to not have to buy new wheels and since the 8.8 already matches bolt pattern figured i could save a few bucks.

·
Registered
672 Posts
What year Wagoneer did your Dana 44 come from? If it's before 1978, you won't need to swap spindles to convert the front to 5x5.5" because they're already the correct size. If the axle is from a '78 or later, the large-bearing spindles can be machined down to accept the smaller bearings.

If you're set on a 44 front and 8.8 rear, I think your best option is to convert everything over to 5x5.5" and get some new wheels.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Dutchaman axles, custom made 350 bucks, up to 6 x 5.5.. at the end of the day it will be cheaper than converting both front and rear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah i should have mentioned the year of the waggy axles they are 6 lug. i also didnt want to have to redrill or machine any thing i was hoping to keep most stuff stock in order to have replacemant parts available.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts